New Year “Resolution’ers” take note, your Christmas presents might be telling you something about your current lifestyle. In 2011 don’t just make a resolution to lose weight, why not go ahead and make a lifestyle change for the better. Look at your presents that your loved ones such as family and friends have given to you and take an outsiders look at what they might be telling you about your current lifestyle. It could be the out-of-body experience that just might make this years’ weight lose resolution the last one you need to make ever.
Collect all of your presents that you were given over the holiday season and sit down and go over everything. The activity of giving presents is not only to empty our pocketbooks but is also to delight the receiver with being given the best present. There are hidden secrets into the presents (excluding those that were on your Santa Wish List) that might help you realize what your loved ones think about your lifestyle.
For instance here are a few examples:
1. Gift Certificates to Fast-Food Restaurants: A gift certificate can definitely tell the receiver that either A) you eat out too much since they picked your favorite restaurant B) you maybe give off the impression that you have no idea how to cook since you rarely do it and/or C) your lifestyle is so fast paced and the only thing that came to mind was a fast-paced dinner option.
2. A Sleeved Blanket such as the Popular Snuggie: Sure, these blankets are nice for the older generations (my grandmother adores hers) but if you are less than in your retirement, you might think twice about your free-time activities. The giver might get the impression that you spend way too much time sitting down doing low-impact activities that you need a backwards robe to provide warmth. I know I haven’t seen them being worn in the gym during workouts.
3. Copious Amounts of Candies and other Junk-foods: I’m aware that many people give out homemade goodies that have been lovingly baked in their own kitchen. If you received copious amounts of chocolates, high-sugar, high-fat snack foods, you might be giving off the wrong impression to the people around you. I know I would not give any of my health-nut friend’s candy for the holidays.
On the Other Hand, here are some presents you might have received:
1. Exercise Clothes: As a fitness “addict”, I love getting new exercise clothes. All my friends agree, getting new exercise clothes is a very energizing thing. If your loved ones gave you exercise clothes or accessories, it is because you are living an active lifestyle. It is a compliment! Wear those clothes proudly and go ahead and run to the gym.
2. iTunes for Workout Music: Active people love to update his/her electronic devices for exercise. Personally I change my playlists around a few times of week. My loved ones were aware of this so I received gift cards for iTunes instead of fast-food restaurants this year. Most large grocery stores sell various types of gift cards, so it is most likely the gift giver overlooked the fast food restaurant cards for a healthier option.
3. Healthy Snack Foods: Before I turned my life around, I used to receive tons of chocolate and other snack foods during the holiday season. I loved the presents but when I look back, I know that I was eating too much junk food. It was a sure sign that my friends knew I ate lots of junk, so they purchased me what I loved.
4. Exercise Games: Beyond the games that your loved ones might have been hearing you hint about wanting, look at the games that were given to you this year. Do you receive a game that is basically sedentary or did you receive something that takes a little effort? In my case, my family knew that I am very active so they purchased only games that were for active bodies. For instance, I received the Sports games for the Wii which keep up to four people moving at once. Players get the opportunity to work a sweat without having to go to the gym
So, if you really want to make that weight-loss New Year’s Resolution the last time this year, look back into what your loved ones are trying to tell you about your lifestyle. Most people take the time to really choose a present for those on their lists, so your loved ones are probably telling you something valuable. This small activity may sound out-of-the-ordinary, but it can make or break your resolution this year. Take it from me, I made my weight-loss goal last year and it was because I was looking at the clues sitting around me. It only take a few minutes, so go ahead and take a step back and look at your life through the eyes of your friends and family.