Losing Weight is a popular New Year’s Resolution for most Americans each year. This year Weight Watchers is ready to help us take off those unwanted pounds with the new PointsPlus program that was unveiled at meetings around the country on November 28, 2010. PointsPlus is a brand new program that replaces the Momentum plan. Pointsplus is based on Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat and Fiber where Momentum was based on Calories, Fat and Fiber. Here are five highlights of the new program.
1. Calories are no longer just calories. Weight Watchers is now having us look at how our bodies use the energy from protein, carbohydrates, fat and fiber. Since each of these components have different effect on our bodies, Weight Watchers is now looking at the whole nutrition of the food, not just the calories. Let’s face it 100 calories of an apple better nutritionally for our bodies than a 100 calories worth of potato chips.
2. Weight Watchers is now allowing most fruit to be zero points. This is a great way to hold off hunger and bulk up meals without spending points. This is huge for most members. Many did not want to spend 2 points on eating a banana. One can now enjoy fruits without feeling as if they are spending too many points on fruit. Although I don’t think anyone has become overweight by eating too many grapes.
3. Most vegetables are now also free. The vegetables that will still require you to count points would be starchy vegetables such as potatoes and corn.
4. More points! Yes, that is correct that members are not getting more points to eat daily. The minimum points that a person would eat on Momentum was 18. This number has risen to 29 points on Pointsplus. Allowing followers of the plan to no longer feel hungry or deprived on the plan. The weekly allowance of points has also risen from 35 points to 49 points per week. These can be used during the week or not, it is all up to how the member feels it fits their lifestyle.
5. Power foods have replaces what was formally known as filling foods on the Momentum plan. These foods are ones that will keep you feeling fuller longer and are more nutritionally sound for your body. Not all foods that were considered filling foods made it to the power foods list. Power foods were selected on they impact our health.
The Pointsplus program is the newest program from Weight Watchers bases on three years of scientific stuff and trials. They are providing members with new information, concerning how our bodies’ process the calories differently from protein, carbohydrates, fat and fiber will give us the leading edge on losing weight and keeping it off.