Green jobs are the jobs of the future. This applies to our country and many others as we search for ways to improve the way we treat the environment. There are some green jobs that will be in demand in the future, and there are necessary skills to land those jobs.
1. Wind Turbine Technician- since wind power is the one of the largest growing alternative energy sources; this is a great field to work in. A degree is necessary to become a wind turbine technician, but there are many universities that offer programs in this field that will suit your needs. There are also some courses in wind technology that will be helpful if you plan to break into this industry.
2. Conservation biologist- not only does this job involve working to improve the ecosystems of the world, but this field can also lead to many other opportunities such as teaching, researching, government jobs, and private sector jobs. To obtain this job, you need a bachelor’s degree in biology programs which offered at many universities. Many people who work in this field also have masters and doctorates degrees. To enter the career it is important to understand there is a lot of schooling in your future.
3. Sustainability systems developer- this job is ideal for software developers and engineers who design, build, and maintain the networks that deal with wind farms, eco-friendly energy grids, and other systems that deal with natural resources. For this job, it is a benefit to have experience using web 2.0 and open source.
4. Solar power installer- solar power is a growing source of alternative energy, so the demand for the installation of solar panels is also growing. Those who have construction skills are needed for these positions which pay anywhere from $15-35 an hour. A two year degree in electrical engineering is also helpful for this career.
5. Energy efficient builder- new homes need to be built with the environment in mind, so the need for builders with energy efficient ideas and skills is also needed. LEED is the major green building certification for this position. Energy efficient builders also include engineers, and architects to get the buildings from the groundwork up. There are many schools which offer degree programs in energy efficient building and planning.
Since green jobs are the jobs of the future, it is important to get the skills needed to beat out the competition and enter into this quickly expanding field.
“Green Careers Guide”
“Ten Best Green Jobs for the Next Decade”, Anya Kamenetz