Looking for a fun, light hearted movie to watch online? Check out websites like Fancast.com, Hulu.com, Netflix.com – some are free, others have a small monthly fee with all you can watch movies with instant streaming or rent a DVD. Of course there are those sites that promise free movies of which you should approach with caution if you need to download their software.
Here’s my choice for top five chick flicks that even your husband or boyfriend would watch and enjoy with you. Or if you’re looking to impress your favorite gal pal, suggest one of these titles when you’re staying home for movie night.
1. You’ve Got Mail – maybe this will be a list of Nora Ephron movies, but then again she is the empress of movie making for cute, romantic comedies. This was produced just about the time that AOL was most popular in online chat and instant messaging, we’ve sure come a long way on the internet yet this movie remains true to it’s story – people meeting in an unconventional manner and then crossing paths in real life. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are always a great match as they were in another classic, Sleepless in Seattle, which is probably favored by men as Tom’s character has a conversation with his best friend played by director Rob Reiner – asking him if he has a cute butt, as Hank’s character enters the dating scene. Both movies can be rented on DVD.
2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding – Writer and Star Nia Vardalos says this 2002 comedy hit was loosely based on her life as a young Greek woman who falls in love with a non-Greek and the challenges of culture and family roles they experience as they play out the meeting of their families and planning their wedding. Best known for lines like, “You don’t eat meat? No problem I make you lamb” and the father figure who cures everything with a spray of Windex – including a huge zit on the bride’s nose on her wedding day.
3. Fools Rush In – Matthew Perry of Friends and Salma Hayek make a great couple when they hook up in Las Vegas and get married on their first and only date. This 1997 comedy has loads of laughs and is a classic that you can enjoy for years to come. Although they were married on a whim, both realize they know nothing of each other and then go through both funny and touching moments of discovery. Similar to the cultural and religious conflicts that My Big Fat Greek Wedding experiences; maybe that’s why this was a hit then and continues to entertain more than a decade later.
4. Julie and Julia – This is a fun movie based on the book of the same title where a young female writer (Julie played by Amy Adams) decides to blog about making every dish in one of Julia Child’s (played by Meryl Streep) cookbook. Nora Ephron, writer and director does a beautiful job of telling two true stories in one movie without confusing the viewer. Released in 2009, taking the history of Julia Child’s life and the young writer who is searching for more to her life by
5. Hitch – although it’s a romantic comedy, this is a film that a guy would admit to seeing because Will Smith is a man’s man. From his start in rap music and the star of Fresh Prince of Bel Air to his smash hits in action and science fiction, if Will Smith is in it you know you’re in for a treat. This is a story of a guy who is a consultant to other men who want to get the girl of their dreams. His tips and techniques have given him the professional code name of the “date doctor”. Some men have used the techniques seen in the movie and claim they work – especially the 90 – 10 rule; where the man goes in for the kiss 90% of the way and waits patiently for the woman to go the other 10.