Baby, it’s cold outside, but you don’t have to disappear in layers and layers of cozy clothing just to get by. Adding too many layers can make you look frumpy and much heavier than you are. If you want to show off your slim figure or accentuate those curves, you’ll need to be a little creative with your winter wardrobe. There several tricks to looking ten pounds slimmer, but not all of them work during the cold and gloomy days of winter. Here are some essential tips for looking slim while layering over the winter season:
1. Wear the right size of thermal underwear. If you’re layering up with thermals this winter, make sure you choose a set that fits snugly against your skin. Your thermal underwear should feel like second skin so that you don’t have to go up a size just to fit in to your winter clothes. Choose a high quality, insulated set of thermal underwear that is the right size for your figure, and you won’t create extra bulk in all the wrong places.
2. Layer up with wool instead of cotton. Cotton may be comfy but doesn’t help much in the insulation department. You may need two or three layers of cotton to get the same effect as just one piece of wool clothing. Layer with wool sweaters instead of cotton shirts, and trade your cotton pants for a cozy pair of wool-lined trousers. If you are wearing a knee-length (or shorter) dress or skirt, sport a pair of wool stockings to keep your legs nice and toasty. Wool stockings also pair well with the season’s booties and knee-length boots.
3. Pick out a lined coat that flatters your figure. Pea coats, long walking coats and fitted coats with a belt are among the best bets for most body types. Just make sure you choose one that is lined with insulation so that you don’t have to wear extra layers when you head outside. Choosing a well-fitting coat will help you look slimmer and also help you move around easier!
4. Wear a scarf indoors. You can find an array of beautiful knit scarves and soft, cashmere scarves in vibrant colors or your favorite print. Instead of wearing two or three layers when you’re going to be indoors all day, sport a sweater with a shirt or tank underneath, and snuggle up with a decorative scarf around your neck. The scarf will trap in heat and make you feel much more comfortable when temperatures drop – without adding unnecessary bulk.
5. Wear skin-tight leggings under jeans or pants. A pair of leggings can also help you maintain a slim-looking figure while keeping you warm. Use these as an alternative option to thermal underwear. If you need some extra support, a flatter tummy or a tighter tush can be yours with the right pair of leggings.
6. Wear a tank under sweaters and fitted shirts. Add a thin layer with a fitted tank under a cozy sweater or fitted shirt, instead of a long-sleeve tee or cotton tee shirt. Tanks can have a very slimming effect on your upper body and can also be very comfortable under a sweater, fitted shirt or blouse. Stick with silk or a thicker cotton material for the extra insulation you need this winter.
Too many layers of clothing will take away from that gorgeous figure and make you feel – and look – much heavier than you are. Whether you’re sporting thermals or picking out a new coat, use some of these wardrobe tips to put together a winter ensemble that slims your silhouette and keeps you nice and warm all season.