If you want to climb the latter in work or business, you have to compete with others to get there. Some people (especially women) hate competition, and wish everyone can all hold hands and get along. And we all can get along, but business is business. In order to make it to the top, you have to get some people out of your way! Let’s get started!
1. Know your current capabilities. When you are in a competition, it’s not a good idea to go for the “big dog” right away. You have to work your way up. The way you do that is by being honest about your own capabilities and talents. Set a goal to go after the big dog, but only target the smaller people that you need to get out of the way first.
2. Know what your competition is up to. You will find that the biggest thing to winning a competition is knowing what moves your competition is making. You can become so good at it that you will be able to predict what they are going to do next. You must know their pattern and know how to trump it.
3. Don’t be over the top . Competitors look silly if they are trying too hard. No one should be able to tell that you are trying to get ahead. It should look very natural. All your work should seem effortless. However, you should still appear to be a hard worker. It will make people impressed with you, and it will make your competition intimidated-and that’s where we want them!
4. Push yourself…a little . Have you heard the saying, “A good goal is something that you can reach, but it makes you have to stretch a little bit”. Isn’t that perfect? Do what you can do, but go that one extra mile. That extra mile, or that “stretch” is what’s going to separate you from your competition.
5. Have a plan B. There are going to be moments when your strategies fall flat. There are also going to be moments when your competition will trump just about everything you do. When that happens, you need to pull out the big guns! You should have other ideas that will blow your competition away. Make sure you know what you are going to do if your efforts fail. Your plan B should be twice as good as plan A.
If you follow these five steps, you will DEFINITELY get ahead. Give it a try. If you have any other great ideas on how to be a fierce competitor, post them below in the comments box. Good luck!
Other articles you may be interested in:
How to Start a Business: 10 Business Basics for New Entrepreneurs
Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: How to Get Ahead in Business & at Work
Get a Cool Job! 8 Ways Teens Can Make Money Now!