The Corn Refiners Association (CRA) constantly tries to persuade the public that high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is perfectly safe, claiming that it is natural, made from corn, similar to sugar, and acceptable in moderation. The truth is – there are a lot of reasons to avoid high-fructose corn syrup.
A processed alternative to sugar, HFCS is a favorite of the food industry for its ability to provide maximum sweetness at minimal cost. While HFCS might be inexpensive to manufacture, its widespread use over the last 25 years has come at a high price to consumers.
Some studies suggest that HFCS itself is not necessarily worse than sugar, but the amount Americans consume contribute to health risks. Since fructose is processed by the liver, large amounts in the diet can cause an increased triglyceride synthesis, causing fat storage in the liver and increasing cardiovascular risk, fatty liver disease, hypertension, and metabolic dysfunction. In addition, since a high presence of fructose can block the body’s ability to use insulin to regulate sugar, over-consumption of HFCS can cause insulin resistance, leading to metabolic disorders, obesity and type 2 diabetes.
HFCS is present in a seemingly endless number of processed foods – from yogurt to salad dressing-and moderate intake of this particular ingredient proves to be a major challenge. In fact, the average total consumption of HFCS is approximately 13 teaspoons per day with the likelihood of even higher levels among certain populations, including children and teens.
A recent study revealed that nine out of twenty samples of commercial HFCS contained detectable levels of the heavy metal, mercury-presumably, the result of contamination with “mercury-grade” caustic soda during the HFCS manufacturing process. In the United States, current regulation is limited only to methyl mercury in fish, but if these results are any indication, new practices are undoubtedly in order. In the meantime, keeping products containing HFCS as far away from your plate as possible appears to be the only truly safe precaution.
Heavy metal toxicity is a major health problem with frightening consequences for both children and adults. It is a modern crisis that should not be ignored and this study sheds light on just one more potential (and very prevalent) source of exposure to toxins.
It is essential to become educated about the dangers of heavy metal toxicity, as well as ways to protect yourself and your loved ones from contamination. One way to stay protected is by learning more about heavy metal toxicity by visiting www.dreliaz.org/recommends-condition-toxicity and sharing these useful prevention tips with your friends and family members.