Bible Lesson Number One For Toddlers and Small Children
This is the start of a 52 part series of Bible Lessons for toddlers and small children. These lessons are meant to be used in your own home. My family and I will be using Monday as our Bible lesson day. It is very important to teach your own children about God and your children. God put it upon my heart to do this for my children, to teach them about Him.
Things you will need
• Crayons and paper
• Planting dirt, seeds and seed pots
• Start off the lesson with a prayer-Throughout this series we will use the Children’s Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I pray thee Lord my soul to take
The Children’s prayer is the perfect prayer to teach your children when they are toddlers. It is easy to remember your children can say it before they go to sleep each night and it teaches your children to pray to God
• Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”
This is the base scripture for this lesson and you can also teach your children to memorize this scripture if you think it is appropriate for your children-(5 minutes)
• Have your children close their eyes and put their hands over their faces. If it is night-time turn off the lights for a few minutes. Now tell your children to imagine they are at the beginning of time, God did not create the earth yet and there is nothing on the earth. The earth is completely dark.-(5 minutes)
• Teach your children some of the things God created each day-During each day you can name other things God created and have your children point out names of planets, fish, birds animals, etc.-(15-20 minutes)
1. Day one-light of the day and night-And God saw that it was good
2. Day two-God separated the water into two parts (a) oceanic and subterranean water
(b) atmospheric water-And God saw that it was good
3. Day Three-Oceans, land, springs, rivers, vegetation, seed bearing plants, trees that bear fruit, possibly the Garden of Eden-And God saw that it was good
4. Day four-Sun, moon, stars and planets-And God saw that it was good
5. Day five-All water creatures and birds-And God saw that it was good
6. Day six-All land animals, man and woman-Adam and Eve-And God saw that it was good-God said it was very good
7. God rested on the seventh day-read Genesis -Read Genesis 2:1-3 to your children. If there is an older child who would like to read the scripture, let them read it out loud.
• This is the activity part of your lesson. There are two activities for this lesson- (20-30 minutes)
1. Have your children draw a picture of something God created
2. Plant vegetable and/or flower seeds in seed pots
• Have your children ask any questions they may have about God and creation- (5 minutes)
End your lesson with the Lord’s Prayer- (10 minutes) if this is the first time your children say the Lord’s prayer, it may take ten minutes to teach them, otherwise two minutes is enough time to recite the Lord’s Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.” (Matthew 6:9-13)
The lesson is complete for this week. These lessons are made to take up about one hour of your time. It is worth one hour of your time each week to teach your children about God. Your small children can also use an hour away from television, video games and playing to learn about God. These lessons can be used for parents of children 4-10 and in Sunday school. These lessons are made for my small children in a home atmosphere. These Bible lessons are made to help teach children about God and help families grow closer together. You have my permission to use any of these Bible lessons, but not to publish them. When the 52 Bible lessons are done, they will be put together with my children’s art and made into a book. God Bless all the people and families who read these lessons. Lesson Number one was God Created the Heaven’s and the Earth.
Suggestive Reading for parents or Sunday School Teacher-Genesis Chapter 1 and 2
Wikipedia for information on prayers
Copyrighted by LeRoy Coffie 2011