Casserole dishes are fun to make. They are tasty meals that are comforting and warm. Once all the ingredients are prepped and placed in a baking pan and slid right into the oven, the oven takes over and gives you a little time to sit down and relax knowing when the timer goes off dinner will be ready.
One of the main ingredients in this dish is Tater Tots ( Ore-Ida ). There aren’t many children who shy away from the plate when Tater Tots are present. There is something about those tube-like shaped potatoes with its minced filling that children crave. Right there half the battle is won when there are picky children sitting down at the dinner table.
Tater Tots are available in the frozen section as are other brands of these versatile potato hash-brown mini-patties. The Wal-mart’s in Grenada and Greenwood are Super Wal-marts. The Winona Wal-mart does carry some food items in its aisles but does not have a frozen section. Winona’s SuperValu also carries these minced taters.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 package of Tater Tots
- 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 can of corn
- ½ cup of chopped chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of chili (without beans)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- In a large frying pan sauté the ground beef over a medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked.
- Turn the heat off once the ground beef is cooked.
- Drain the fatty grease from the frying pan.
- Add all the ingredients to the frying pan with the exception of the cheese and Tater Tots.
- Stir all the ingredients and spices into the ground beef.
- Once the meat is coated with all the flavors transfer the mixture into a baking pan. Pyrex or Corning Ware is preferable; if not a metal baking pan will do just fine.
- Spread out the mixture in the baking pan so that it is even across the bottom.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the meat mixture.
- Top with Tater Tots.
- Cover the baking pan and bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and place on trivet in center of dining table.
- Your Tater Tot beef chili-bake is ready to be served up.
- The corn can be swapped out with any canned vegetable of your choice.
- If you prefer fresh vegetables the prep time will be longer and the vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower will have to be blanched and drained before adding to the casserole.
Serve with a small salad and you have a full meal without a hassle or spending a lot of time in the kitchen