Quite often, I find something new at the grocery store that looks so tempting that I’m tempted to try it. However, after reading all the ingredients, I return the product to the shelf. I’m allergic to some ingredients, like monosodium glutamate, and I stay away from other ingredients, such as high fructose corn syrup and preservatives. Once I return the product to the shelf, I figure out how I can make something very similar at home. I usually have most of the products I need in my own kitchen, though sometimes I have to buy a few ingredients I don’t normally keep on hand, like a block of cheese from the deli.
I love white pizza more than pizza made with tomato sauce. Although I have found a frozen white pizza at the grocery store, it has garlic and some preservatives, so I decided to make one myself at home. I made my own pizza dough from scratch. It’s time consuming, but healthier than pizza crust mixes sold in stores that have partially hydrogenated soybean oil, dextrose, and BHA preservative. I have found a recipe for a quick, homemade pizza crust that does not require yeast and is less time-consuming.
There are many recipes for the white sauce that goes on a white pizza, and they are all very easy to make. You can make a basic white cheese sauce that can also be used over spaghetti, or combined with ham and potatoes to make a baked ham casserole. The white cheese sauce will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days in a sealed container. You can add any toppings to your white pizza.
WHITE CHEESE SAUCE
2 tbs. butter
3 tbs. flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tbs. minced onion
1 tbs. basil, oregano or Italian seasoning
1 cup milk
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add salt, pepper, garlic, seasoning. Slowly stir in flour.
2. Grate Parmesan cheese from a block from the deli. It does not contain cellulose.
3. Add milk and grated cheese to the flour mixture. Stir for five minutes. Sauce will thicken upon standing.
4. Add thawed, drained spinach to the cream mixture. (Optional).
NO YEAST PIZZA CRUST
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2 cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 tbs. olive oil
2/3 cup water
1. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add water and olive oil. Stir until dough is completely blended.
2. Knead dough on a floured surface four to six times. Roll out dough with rolling pin.
3. Place dough on pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Spread white cheese sauce over pizza dough. Add toppings as desired. Bake in oven twenty minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting.