For the last few days we’ve all been discussing the new information about Taco Bell Meat. The fact that it’s not exactly beefy should come as no surprise. Still, people are enraged at being deceived and with good reason. How much longer are we going to tolerate our food being manipulated for profit? Even though I’m a vegetarian, it sickens me what is being done to meat in this country. What’s in your beef? How is it produced? What other types of food manipulation are going on in this country? Why should we buy organic? Here are five things everyone should think about before they put another bite in their mouths. Taco Bell meat or not meat is just the tip of the iceberg.
1. Forget about Taco Bell meat, factory farms are a travesty of food manipulation. The cattle you eat and the dairy products you consume do not come from peaceful bovines chewing their cud in farmer John’s pasture. They are raised in their own filth. They are injected with hormones and antibiotics. They are mistreated and abused. It’s a nasty, stinking, dirty, filthy environment. You are what you eat and you are what the animals you eat consume and experience. Taco Bell meat is the least of our worries. Worry about all meat. Buy organic.
2. Pink slime is not fit for human consumption. It makes Taco Bell meat look good. Using pink slime is perhaps the most disgusting food manipulation process today. Modern meat production is a scary thing. You should truly be concerned about fast food meat in general, not just Taco Bell meat. Why? Certain fast food venues and even grocery store chains are now using pink slime to stretch their budget. Pink slime is E-Coli and Salmonella rich sweepings from the slaughterhouse floor. They are ground, treated with ammonia and used as filler for hamburger. That hamburger goes to school cafeterias, major fast food venues and more. Buy organic.
3. Pesticides are killing us and you’re worried about Taco Bell meat? You should be. You should also be worried about everything else you put in your mouth. Food manipulation is an epidemic. Pesticides are at the top of the list. Did you know pesticides are even responsible for hormonal weight gain? That’s right, the chemicals and pesticides in our food are making us fat. Being fat is killing us. Wake up America, those pesticides can’t be washed off. They enter our food from the root system. They are washed into lakes and streams. They are in your body.
4. Vegetarians are not safe from food manipulation, Taco Bell meat notwithstanding. We vegetarians are a smug bunch, aren’t we? We’re always going on about healthy eating and buying organic. Well, I’m warning you, vegetarians, you are not safe from food manipulation. While it’s true that you likely won’t eat Taco Bell meat (no matter how much soy it contains) you’re not out of the water. America has become so dependent on factory farms, pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones and chemical fertilizers that they are permeating our soil, water and air. Do yourself a favor, grow your own, buy organic, buy local and while you’re at it, cross your fingers. You never know where food manipulation is lurking.
5. Food processing is food manipulation, whether it’s Taco Bell meat or prepackaged food. We seem content to let others do the labor. What’s the problem with eating time saving food products? We don’t know what’s in them. From preservative chemicals to high fructose corn syrup (and yes, it is very bad for you, just like it’s cousin, sugar) processed foods are chock full of nasty. So next time you think about microwaving dinner for your 4 year old, think again. Food manipulation doesn’t just involve Taco Bell meat, it’s everywhere. Why? Because we let it be. Want to stop things like the Taco Bell meat scandal from happening again? Hit the big players right in the wallet. Buy organic. Make it the new cheap alternative and say goodbye to food manipulation.
More from Jaipi:
Early Puberty, Weight Gain, Factory Farms -What’s the Connection?
How Factory Farming Still Impacts Vegetarians
Is High Fructose Corn Syrup the Same as Sugar?