Type A personalities are known for getting things done but at what cost? If stress consumes a major part of your day, you might consider some stress reduction activities and behaviors. Some of you may be laughing because you think reducing stress in your life is next to impossible. I used to feel that way myself (until my panic attacks got so bad I couldn’t function normally). Luckily, I learned five stress reduction techniques that really work if you take the time and energy to apply them.
1. Get off That Pedestal. You may be a type A personality because you are trying to be all things to all people. While this is admirable, it’s certainly not healthy. It’s also quite aggravating to those around you. Why not let them handle their own struggles? Nobody ever learns to do things for themselves if you keep doing it for them. Type A personalities can bust stress by taking a vacation from other people’s problems.
2. Step Back. Take a deep breath. Look at yourself from an analytical point of view. Are all the tasks you take on really your responsibility? You won’t get noticed at work if you make yourself too stressed out to function. You won’t be appreciated by your family if you’re always on a mission (unless that mission is spending time with your family). Analyze your priorities and obligations. Get your priorities in order and delegate tasks to the proper people.
3. Delegate. There’s so much to be done. How will you ever find the time? You won’t. Why not dole out a few tasks to others? It’ll be OK. I promise. Start by delegating small tasks. It’s easier for type A personalities to give up tasks of lower priority first. This leaves them free to tackle more important matters. As time goes by, they can slowly learn to relinquish control of the big ticket items. This stress buster lets others grow to accept more responsibility. Now they can really help you with the load you’ve shouldered.
4. Work it Off. Exercise is a great stress reduction technique. It also keeps you whole and healthy. Type A personality traits make you a go-getter. Why not go get yourself a gym membership? All exercise reduces stress. Yoga, meditation and other relaxing techniques will slow down your pace at the same time. If you can’t afford a membership or classes, just take a walk. The vitamin D your body produces from sunshine is perfect for stress reduction.
5. Recreate. The main problem with type A personality traits is they leave you no room to breathe. Don’t be afraid to have a little fun once in a while. The work will be right there waiting when you return. Take some time off to spend with friends and family before they give up on you altogether. Enjoy an all out vacation to a tropical paradise, or just a game of catch in the back yard. Stress reduction can help type A personalities improve both their health and their relationships.