A wedding is made special in the details and one of the most stressed about nuptial items is the wedding favor. After the cake is eaten, the drinks are swilled, and the toasts are complete, the wedding favor serves as a memento to your guests that you and your beloved are now united. With the infinite choices out there you could easily worry yourself into a frenzy about what to give your special guests. Have no fear, your Lifestyle Passionista is here. Although I am a confirmed bachelorette no one throws an elegant party like your fairy goddess mother.
No need to stress over what to give as wedding favors as this gift should be clearly inspired by you as a couple. Cookie cutter one size fits all wedding ideas are dead. The theme for weddings this spring is complete personalization. Now, that doesn’t mean just putting your names all over everything. True personalization means giving wedding favors that couldn’t come from any other newly married couple but you. Also the notion that the wedding is only about the bride is becoming antiquated. The elements of the entire day from the music to the favors should be about you both.
5 Ways To Make Your Wedding Favors Unique:
1) Usable Wedding Favors. I am a big fan of giving people usable mementos rather than tacky doodads that will get dusty on the mantel and soon be tossed. So even though your bridesmaids may never really get to wear their dresses ever again, someone somewhere will use your wedding favors.
Usable favor ideas include: Key rings, wine bottle stoppers and luggage tags labeled with your initials, photos or wedding colors. Please note: On luggage tags especially your initials should be removable so that your guests can comfortably use them. Another of my favorite wedding favor ideas is personalized hot sauce. The Wedding Shop on The Knot is currently selling spicy and easily personalized hot sauce favors in packs of 12 bottles.
2) Make it Royal. Stop me if you’ve heard this already but yours isn’t the only big nuptial celebration taking place in 2011. Although Kate Middleton will become a real princess when she jumps the broom with Prince William every bride is queen for a day at her own wedding. Royal watchers are already creating and purchasing their own wedding memorabilia of the long awaited and eagerly anticipated celebration.
Feel free to borrow some of the royal wedding favor ideas and make them your own. Companies have created regal memorial stemware and custom memorial plates covered with an engagement photo of the royal couple Custom Picture Plate will allow you to do the same. If you can’t afford this as a favor maybe you can do sugar cookies with photo on them or the package from 1-800-BAKERY. Create a new family crest for you and your beloved and share it by stamping it onto labels. Staying with the royal theme, Favor Ideas has fairytale themed favor items like mini coaches.
3) DIY Favors. With the economy still in a tailspin DIY favors will make both your guests and your pockets smile. If you know how to make perfumed oil or jam, package in mini bottles with gorgeous labels and go for it. You can do the same with pre-mixed cookie dough. Another DIY favor idea might be a DVD featuring photos and videos of not just the couple but also friends and family members. This is an updated version of the old wedding songs CD wedding favor idea.
If you are on a super tight budget check out Oriental.com for inexpensive candles, candle holders, magnets and other affordable novelties. They also have a great packaging selection for your homemade gifts. Picture frames are a standard wedding favor but consider the added touch of a personal note to each guest to make it distinctly you.
4) Sweet Novelties. The new E! Network reality series Married to Rock featured Josie Stevens renewing her vows to her rocker husband Steve Stevens in an elaborate over the top ceremony. It’s not every bride who can pull off being lowered from a castle swing into her ceremony by Josie does it without taking herself too seriously. The pink and white Hello Kitty themed wedding reflected the wildly eclectic “tastes” of the bride and groom.
You may not be in the music biz but you are indeed the rock stars of your wedding. Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself and have fun with your wedding favors. If Hello Kitty is your thing go crazy on the Sanrio website– especially if you don’t mind being called a cheeseball. I know I don’t. It’s your day.
5) Go green. Give something back to the planet with green and sustainable wedding favors. You can either give out mini plants or seeds that keep with the themes of spring, renewal and new beginnings. Plantable gifts are great for wannabe horticulturalists. Another community minded idea: Make a small donation to charities chosen by each guest
Bonus Idea: Candy and sweets. At reality star Khloe Kardashian’s wedding to basketball player Lamar Odom the eye candy was popping. Lamar is a self professed candy addict so guests were invited to indulge in everything from over-sized lollipops to colorful gum drops. This is a nice deviation from the standard wedding chocolate kisses and M&Ms. Khloe and Lamar Odom even sent guests home with sweet treats: A box of 4 delicious handmade cupcakes. As an additional favor guests received notepads with photos of the bride and groom. You can replicate this by ordering fresh cupcakes from Crumbs in your favorite flavors like S’mores.
Watch Katy Perry’s candied “California Gurls” music video for tasty inspiration and then consult with Dylan’s Candy Bar to make your ooey gooey sweet tooth dreams come true. Reportedly Katy Perry’s week long Indian wedding to Russell Brand featured a full candy buffet. Candies come in all shapes and colors to easily match your wedding.
If all of this still makes your head spin, you can have a small wedding like Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green who included only his son. Happy planning — and congratulations. And remember, the most important thing is to have the time of your life.