The five best cities where you can find seasonal work are those with major tourist and shopper activities at certain times of the year. For people looking for those temporary positions, unless the jobs are within easy commuting distance, distance travel and away-from-home living expenses must be factored in with the money earned.
1. Orlando, Florida: December is the busiest tourist and family visit time of the year for the Walt Disney and Universal theme parks, as well as scores of other nearby tourist attractions. Temporary jobs include hotel service, restaurant, amusement park rides, security and janitorial. Pay in most places in Orlando is not much more than minimum wage, but some jobs include free on-site living quarters and meals.
2. Las Vegas, Nevada: The gambling city is busiest during the last two weeks of December, spring break time and the end of June-July 4th weekends. Temporary jobs in motels, hotels and the big resorts are usually available at those times. The jobs include maid service, janitorial, security and waiter/waitress positions. The most favorable temporary jobs in Las Vegas are those that include tips, because the gambling atmosphere makes money flow freely. The best are waiting on tables, bell hop, parking attendant and bartender.
3. Santa Monica, California: This beach city and others along the sunny Southern California coastline have tourism all year long, but are most busy from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Along its Ocean Walk and Santa Monica Pier are scores of shops, restaurants and amusement games that hire temps for the busy months. Jobs include retail, kitchen, waiter/waitress, game monitors, security and lifeguard.
4. New York City, New York: Manhattan attracts millions of tourists during the year-end holidays, and enjoys another big tourist season starting at Memorial Day. There are many opportunities for temporary jobs, many with hotels, theaters, tourist services and restaurants. However, unless you can commute to a Manhattan tourist and theater district, or bunk with local relatives, living expenses are sky high there.
5. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The city’s historic center attracts families, school groups and many other tourists from all over the world. The busiest season is from Memorial Day through Labor Day, with the most activities happening over the July 4th Independence Day weekend. Temporary jobs include costumed characters, guides, street vendors, hotel staff and restaurant workers.
Those cities offer many opportunities for finding seasonal work. While the pay isn’t always the best, working temporary jobs in resort areas can offer chances for fun and other experiences.