Fans of the LSU Tigers all gathered at the River Center in downtown Baton Rouge, LA today to celebrate the signing of high school football players to the LSU football team. The day started out on a bright note as LSU had already snagged three good players who were already enrolled and attending spring classes.
As the day unfolded it appeared that LSU was taking full advantage of the home-grown talent by signing only three players from out of state, making a total of only four new signees from out of state. This is pretty impressive given the fact that LSU ended up with another top 10 recruiting class.
So who are the new signees? Let’s take a look!
I published the three signees who had already enrolled last night in my preview of National Signing Day. They are numbers 1-3. The complete list is as follows:
1. Zach Mettenberger, QB, Oconee County HS (Georgia/Butler CC), Watkinsville, GA, 6’5″, 250#
2. Anthony Johnson, DT, O.P. Walker HS, New Orleans, LA, 6’3″, 294#
3. Kenny Hilliard, RB, Patterson HS, Patterson, LA, 5’11”, 225#
4. Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, Isidore Newman School, New Orleans, LA, 5’11”, 175#
5. James Hairston, P, Jesuit HS, Dallas, TX, 5’11”, 175#
6. Jonah Austin, OL, St. Augustine HS, New Orleans, LA, 6’5″, 320#
7. Trai Turner, OL, St. Augustine HS, New Orleans, LA, 6’2″, 334#
8. Alonzo Lewis, WR, St. James HS, St. James, LA, 6’3″, 205#
9. Jalen Collins, S, Olive Branch HS, Olive Branch, MS, 6’1″, 80#
10. Micah Eugene, S, Acadiana HS, Lafayette, LA, 5’11”, 185#
11. Jarvis Landry, WR, Lutcher HS, Lutcher, LA, 5’11”, 190#
12. Terrence Magee, RB, Franklinton HS, Franklinton, LA, 5’9″, 205#
13. Corey White, OL, Capitol HS, Baton Rouge, LA, 6’3″, 333#
14. Ronald Martin, S, White Castle HS, White Castle, LA, 6’1″, 182#
15. Paul Turner, ATH, West Monroe HS, West Monroe, LA, 5’11”, 185#
16. La’el Collins, OL, Redemptorist HS, Baton Rouge, LA, 6’4″, 315#
17. Trevon Randle, LB, Clear Springs HS, League City, TX, 6’1″, 205#
18. Stephen Rivers, QB, Athens HS, Athens, AL, 6′,7″, 198#
19. Quentin Thomas, DE, Breaux Bridge HS, Breaux Bridge, LA, 6’3″, 276#
20. Mickey Johnson, DT, St. Paul’s HS, Covington, LA, 5’11”, 310#
21. David Jenkins, CB, Hebron HS, Jena, LA, 6’1″, 179#
22. Jermauria Rasco, DE, Evangel Christian Academy, Shreveport, LA, 6’4″, 240#
The highest ranked players were Anthony Johnson, who is currently enrolled in spring classes at LSU and ready to take part in spring football practices, and La’el Collins. Johnson was ranked No. 2 by ESPN.com, while Collins was ranked No. 3 by Sporting News. Both were named to the Parade All-America Team and selected as first-team All-America by USA Today.
Other outstanding recruits are Jermauria Rasco, rated four stars and No. 14 by Sporting News; Jarvis Landry, No. 37 and on ESPN’s Hot 150 List; Kenny Hilliard, No. 120, ESPN’s Hot 150 and Mickey Johnson, No. 121, also on ESPN’s Hot 150 List.
Les Miles, the head coach of the LSU Tigers is pleased with the recruiting efforts of his coaching staff and thinks that the new signees will meet the needs of the team. At the end of the day today Miles had this to say about the newly signed recruits, “I like the class. I like the position we’re in, and it sure is fun to recruit at LSU. It’s a place that makes a strong impression on a young man when he comes to visit.”
The 2011 recruiting class at LSU ended up with a No. 6 rating from Rivals.com, No. 9 from Scout.com and No. 11 by ESPN.com. All commitments signed, leaving no big surprises for the “mad hatter.”
This is quite an impressive group of new Tigers with some big guys in the mix. With so many home-state team members, this group will mix well with current players and be ready to fight for the purple and gold. And who knows, maybe Les will have them all eating grass in spring practice!
The Official List of the 2011 Football Signees
WAFB News Broadcast at 5:00 pm