On April 23, 2011, the sixth annual “EarthFest LA Concert in the Park for the Environment & Expo” (formerly known as South Los Angeles Earth Fest) will be held at Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area in Los Angeles. This year’s event not only includes a variety of pavilions where event goers can participate in everything from an eco film festival to planting a tree, it also includes an awesome musical line-up featuring Paul Brown and Marc Antoine.
Working in concert with the Los Angeles County Parks & Recreation Department, this year’s event theme is “From Parks to Playa: We’re All in This Together,” and showcases the county’s initiative to expand its trail system to connect its inland parks to the Pacific Ocean.
The event is divided into two major attractions: the Expo – which is free of charge and hosts exhibits, entertainment and activities for the entire family – and the concert, which is by ticket only and for those aged 21 and older.
Free Expo pavilions include:
* Ecology Theatre, where environmental workshops and lectures will be held, as well as an eco film festival where plans are being finalized to show such renowned environmental documentaries as “Fuel,” “Bag It,” “Edens Lost and Found,” “Split Estate” and “The 11th Hour.”
* Healthy Lifestyles, where one can receive a free health screening, watch a healthy cooking demonstration or participate in discussions about nutrition.
* Urban Gardening, where you can learn how to grow your own herbs and vegetables in small, urban spaces, as well as receive information on organic fertilizers, pest control and composting.
* Green Job Symposium, where you can learn about how green jobs contribute to the environmental and economic health of LA County, as well as what the future holds in this unique employment segment.
* Green Kids Kamp, where kids can participate in hands-on environmental activities and make eco-crafts to take home. There will also be an environmental poster and essay/poetry contest for children in grades K – 12. (See www.earthfestla.org for entry rules and deadlines.)
The “Concert in the Park for the Environment” will star Grammy-winning jazz guitar legend, Paul Brown, contemporary jazz guitarist, Marc Antoine and rising star saxophonist, Jackiem Joyner. The concert begins at 1:30 p.m.; seating starts an hour prior. Ticket prices begin at $35, and can be purchased at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/141478. Food and drinks will be available for purchase at the event.
This event is hosted each year by California Greenworks Incorporated, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization “formed to promote environmental protection, sustainability, community revitalization and economic development throughout urban communities in southern California. California Greenworks seeks to improve the quality of urban life through various programs and projects that advocate open space preservation in urban communities, restoration of waterways, and community beautification activities.”
Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area is located at 4100 S. La Cienega; Los Angeles, CA; 90056-1100. Event hours will be from 10:00 AM to 6 PM.
For more information please visit: http://www.earthfestla.org/ and www.californiagreenworks.org/ .