Lesson 19 – The Consolidation of the CCP in China
- By 1946, the United States was feared more than it was respected in China . The A-bomb was feared by all countries.
- The Russians switched their alliance from the KMT to the CCP after Manchuria , while the United States continued to support the KMT.
- Initially, the KMT had much success in many cities within China , but had difficulty in holding the rural areas they had conquered.
- As the KMT forces began to diminish in numbers, the CCP forces began to get larger.
- By 1949. the KMT had lost over two million troops in battle and defections were increasing rapidly. The end was near.
- On October 1, 1949 , Mao declares the creation of the People’s Republic of China .
- Why did the A-bomb have such a powerful affect on Asians?
- Why did the Russians switch their support from the KMT to the CCP?
- Why didn’t the United States fully support the KMT?
- How did the loss of Manchuria to the Yalta Agreement affect US-Chinese relations?
Additional Internet Research Links For This Lesson:
Chinese Civil War