There were hundreds of new songs written, filmed, videoed and performed live in 2010, and it’s difficult to narrow the list down to ten. Even to choose the best from among new love songs is a challenge.
1. Lady GaGa: Everyone who wasn’t living in a hermit’s hut atop a mountain heard about, listened to and/or saw the image of Lady GaGa in 2010. The flamboyant blond singer has wowed the music world. Teens can’t get enough of her, and GaGa holds the YouTube record of over 300 million views. Her self-written 2010 single, “Bad Romance”, hit the charts as Number One in the U.S. and six other nations.
2. Reba McEntire: The veteran country singer has been a spectacular show business success for 25 years. She conquered Broadway several years ago as sharpshooter Annie Oakley in the revival of “Annie Get Your Gun,” and toured recently as Navy nurse Nellie Forbush in a concert version of “South Pacific.” Her 2010 hit, “Turn On The Radio”, proves that Reba hasn’t lost any of her ability with contemporary music.
3. Justin Bieber: He exploded on the 2010 scene like Lady GaGa. Not as flashy, but with teen good looks and hair flowing over his forehead, he has millions of teen girls swooning at every note he sings. Justin’s sudden rise to stardom and sexy appeal reminds of the young Frank Sinatra. Justin’s hit 2010 song about lost love, “Baby” is undoubtedly just the beginning of a long, successful career.
4. Rihanna was at the top of her hip-hop vocal skills with her 2010 hit, “Only Girl In The World”. Her love songs seem to come from the heart of a sensitive young woman who demands fidelity and respect from her lover. Another hit she recorded later in the year, “Rude Boy”, emphasized both in lyrics and Jamaican steel drums her impatience with a wandering lover.
5. Taylor Swift: She hit the top of the 2010 charts with her fiery song, “Mine”, from her new album, “Speak Now”. With it, she tells all other girls to keep their eyes and hands off her man, or else!
6. Katy Perry: She’s another of the flock of young singers who have been taking over the love song charts. Katy’s 2010 hit, “Teenage Dream” reveals the promises and joys of first love, rather than the the aftermath of a romance gone bad. It was a single in Katy Perry’s third album, “Speak Now”, which quickly went gold when over a million teenagers bought copies.
7. Michael Jackson: He’s gone, but Michael’s promoters put some of his previously unpublished songs into a new album, “‘Michael”. The 2010 hit, “Hold My Hand”, is from the album intended for millions of fans who’ll continue his memory.
8. Nelly: This male hip-hop singer put out a 2010 hit, “Just A Dream”, that asks, “If you ever love somebody, then put your hands up.” That can be interpreted as a sign of surrender to love, or response to the frustration of unrequited love.
9. Pink: Another singer who goes by just one name, Pink’s 2010 hit, “Perfect”, gives spirited advice to lovers. She tells them never to think of themselves as less than perfect, because, “you are perfect to me.”
10. Singer Bruno Mars , wrote and performed “Just the Way You Are” in 2010 for the Fox TV high school series, “Glee”. It gave Mars maximum exposure, as well as rising rapidly on the charts. As 2010 ended, the song was Number One in America and in least eight oth