For many of you might know, the word essay is defined in the concise oxford dictionary as, “literary composition on any subject. Properly speaking, it is a written composition that expresses one’s personal ideas or opinions on a specific topic.
However, as a student, you might have to encounter essay assignments from your school. If you feel writing an essay is a real headache, then this article might work as an excellent sedative. It is very important that you should have basic and clear knowledge about the whole concept of essay writing, before you attempt to write one. There is no room for mistakes, if your only motive is to write a well expressed essay. Without knowing, what actually you have to talk about can prove fatal to good essay writing. For instance, if you have to write on,” The Importance Of TV”, you don’t have to give the explanation of the history of television. Nor on how it works. But the subject demands for explication on TV can help the society.
So, when you are writing a school essay, five ground rules should always be kept in mind-
1. Maintain the Unity of the Essay: Your essay must follow the same sequence of your theme. Avoid adding irrelevant details in your essay for it can destroy the entire unity of the essay. However, it doesn’t mean that you leave your essay without experimenting. You should treat your essay by providing it, some different dimensions.
2. First think and then write. Draw a mental picture of the format of your essay, seek the real essence of the subject and use the pen afterwards. Every sentence should be wielded in a correct order and sing the same symphony. That will keep you out by providing your essay haphazard look.
3. School essay should never be long. As you may have noticed, you already are provided with a certain limit say about 300 words. So try and maintain the brevity of your essay. A concisely expressed essay is way better than an irrelevant lengthy essay.
4. As, you are writing a school essay, the language you use should be simple and natural. Always support your statement without using slang and colloquial terms. The more simplicity you will multiply in your essay, the more exquisite it will look, and eventually your essay will receive tons of appreciation.
5. Now that you know, essay portrays the ideas of an individual and not the ideas imposed by any external agents; you should not copy it from somewhere else. If your plagiarism is detected, you will have to suffer humiliation. Nevertheless, if you are contenting your essay with others opinions, you must provide the reference. Be yourself in your essay, do not mimic others. The personal touch should not be lost; otherwise your entire labor will go waste.
The major drawback for a young student in writing an essay is the lack of sufficient matter. Their limited experience comes their way and they feel completely helpless about how to say something about the content. But, don’t be afraid, you can rectify it by regular reading and developing your power of observation, for a writer must be observant.
Hence, here are the tips that can help you in advancing your essay writing abilities:
a. As Bacon said,” Reading maketh a full man”. Implement the habit of reading a book on a regular basis. But, don’t read it passively and for amusement or the labor will not pay off. Active reading will fill your mind with the fine thoughts and accurate sentence line up. It will also help you modify your vocabulary usage. If you read good books, in a few weeks you will find that you don’t have to search for words, they will come out naturally.
b. Lucky for you for you are a 21st century student and you are provided with plenty of options that can help you with the essay writing techniques. For e.g., the internet can provide you with the hundreds of English forums, where you can seek advice from the experts. Sign up for their weekly newsletter. Most of them are free of charge and are sent directly to your email id. Read them and if necessary re-read them, and within a few weeks you will see you have moved from one to
c. Practice makes man perfect. If you are serious to succeed in essay writing, write regularly even if they are not in your assignments. In the beginning you might feel like giving up, but always remember Neither Rome was built in a day and nor your Excellency in essay writing will develop overnight. Exercise writing about the things you experience like the day at your school and the likes. This habit will help you generate and build up your imagination power exponentially. Soon you will realize there is an overflow of ideas, facts and illustrations in your mind.
d. Above all, you are only a student and not an adept. So, don’t feel embarrassed asking questions. Seek the advice from your teachers and your colleagues, if you are trapped somewhere in your essay. They are always ready to help. If as a student, you are proficient enough to write good school essay, who knows? You might be the next Shakespeare of your generation.
You are now acquainted with the entire concept of writing a good essay and how to meliorate your essays. Never forget, the books that you read are also written by men and women, if they can write, so can you. The secret of perfect writing is clear thinking. So, be percipient about what you have to say and draft the same.