his was done on windows vista, but I dont see any reason it will not work on any other OS (for Macs you will most likely have to enable screen sharing. ((also not too sure about linux for ubuntu)))
1. First, lets download a VNC server. I recommend RealVNC, it is easy to use and reliable. You can download it here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3587806/Real_VNC_Enterprise_4.1.9
(Or if you don’t wish to use a torrent you can buy it from here http://realvnc.com/ )
Install RealVNC, and use the keygen to generate a key that you may use to register your product. We will talk about configuring Real VNC later, for now just make sure you installed and registered it.
2. Next you will need to download a vnc viewer to your mobile device. For both the iPod and Droid, I recommend MochaVNC. On both the apple and android market MochaVNC offers a lite version, so you may try it out before you buy anything. You may use pricier VNC viewers, such as LogmeinIgnition, but it will be extremely expensive ($30). We will talk more about MochaVNC after the next step. For now, make sure you have downloaded it.
3. First, open your Real VNC folder. Open the subfolder called VNC Server (User Mode), and open the Run VNC SERVER.exe file. Now, a new icon will appear in your system tray. Hover over it to find out what the server address is (Mine is 192.168.1.4). Now, double click on the icon, and the configuration will open. Navigate to the Connections Tab. One the first Line, it will say “Accept connections on port: 5900 (5900 is the default)”. For now, we will keep it as 5900.
4. Next, visit DynDNS.com . Make an account (it’s free). Go to the My Account page, and you will find a column that says My Services. Click on the Add Host Services option. For the host name, you may choose any name you wish (I chose turtles, because, well, I leik tuhtles). For the IP Adress field, Click on the blue hyperlink saying “Your current location’s IP address is (Your IP Adress here)”. For service type, make sure Host with IP address is selected. Now, hit add to cart, proceed to checkout, etc etc until you activate it (once again, its free). Now you will be at your host services page. Make sure the service you just activated is on the table.
5. Now, find your Router Configuration Page. To configure my netgear router, I type in the address bar 192.168.1.1 of my browser window. For the username, I put admin, and the password, I put Password (literally, password). However, this is different for different brands of routers. You will need to find out your own address (for example, motorola routers configuration adress is most likely 192.168.100.1 ((or 192.168.10.1(((or 192.168.0.1))) )) ) and the username would be admin, with the password “Motorola” (without the quotes). Continuing, go to the Port Fowarding/Port Triggering tab of the router configuration page (looks like this http://tinypic.com/r/mjn18y/7) For the server IP address, put in the same IP address you found while hovering over the system tray icon in step 3, and click add. After that, select the service you just made, and click edit. Change the port number to 5900 (ignore my 5920 in the picture) and click apply.
6. Now, last step. Open Mocha VNC on your mobile device. For the IP address, type in the hostname you created on dynDNS.com (for example “example.dyndns-ip[dot]com”((ending is usually different))). Type in the password you use in RealVNC (you can change it in the configuration settings, security tab, VNC password Authentication, configure button. And if the port number is not 5900, change it to 5900. And finally, click connect. You should be staring at your desktop.