Many of us are convinced that, at one time or another, we have dated a sociopath. Unfortunately, we usually don’t arrive at this conclusion until the warning signs are obvious and we find ourselves in an uncomfortable, as well as potentially dangerous, situation. Here are some early warning signs that just might indicate that you are dating a sociopath.
1. Inconsistent behavior. You might date a person who seldom picks up the telephone to call, or you may find yourself dating someone who calls twenty times a day. Frequency of contact is not necessarily an accurate indication of sociopathic behavior, but the pattern of contact just might be. Those with sociopathic behaviors may go days without contacting their partner, and then may suddenly go through a period where they contact their partner incessantly.
2. Lack of life-long friends. A common misconception is that sociopaths are reclusive loners, but in reality many sociopaths can appear to be quite popular. If you suspect you are dating a sociopath, don’t count the number of friends that your partners has, but instead count the number of life-long friends your partner has. A sociopath can only “hide” his or her behavior for so long, so if a person has several life-long friends, it indicates mental stability.
3. Sociopaths often have deviant sexual fantasies. A little excitement in the bedroom is one thing, but when your partner suggests sexual activities that are excessively violent or degrading in nature, this may indicate that you are dating a sociopath.
4. Sociopaths seldom come from stable families. It is a smart idea to examine the background of a person’s family before you decide to date them. Since sociopathic behavior patterns are often learned in early age, trace an indicidual’s family history back to childhood. Was your partner physically abused as a child? Did your partner come from a broken home or a dysfunctional family? These things great increase a person’s chances of becoming a sociopath.
5. Unstable employment history. If your partner can’t seem to hold down a job for more than a few months, this often indicates sociopathic tendencies. Sociopaths will have a difficult time surrounding themselves with the same group of people for a long period of time.
Of course, these are just five things that may indicate that you are dating a sociopath. Since every human being is mentally wired in a different way, different behaviors may exist. However, any of the five warning signs above should immediately raise a red flag.