If your family is like mine you have many old DVD’s that have become so scratched they are unwatchable. Instead of just tossing them into the trash how about making a fun, Christmas craft with them. This holiday craft is the perfect way to combine old movies with some of your most cherished Christmas cards to make ornaments. This way you can upcycle those DVD’s and display some of your favorite holiday cards from past years. Below are the directions for this super simple craft to recycle your old DVD’s and Christmas cards into new, unique Christmas ornaments.
Old Movie DVD’s (They can be scratched or dinged, does not matter they will be covered up)
Some Of Your Old Most Favorite Christmas Cards
Hot Glue Gun
Ribbon (About ½ an inch in width, in color of your choice)
1) The first step to recycle your old movie DVD’s into cute, oversized Christmas ornaments is choosing which old Christmas cards you would like to use to decorate them. I picked ones that I cherish from friends and family members so we can display them every year on the tree instead of stashed in a box somewhere.
2) Once you have chosen the Christmas card you want to use for each DVD you are going to upcycle into a Christmas ornament it is time to trace. Using you pencil with your DVD as your template trace around the part of the card you want to display. After you have traced the number of ornaments you want to make just carefully cut them out.
3) The next step is to hot glue your Christmas card cut out onto your old DVD. Use the hot glue sparingly this way it will not spill over and burn you or cause bumps and lumps under your paper. Be sure to allow it time to dry.
4) Now you are ready to add your ribbon hanger to your recycled DVD Christmas ornament. I used gold holiday ribbon that is ½ an inch wide. I cut the hanger for each ornament about 5 inches long. Fold the ribbon over so the ends meet and then hot glue it to the top, back of your movie DVD. I always use a pencil or ruler to hold the ribbon in place until it sets so I am not touching the hot glue.
5) This last step is optional. On the bottom back of each of my recycled ornament I glued the greeting, or message from the original Christmas card I used for each. This way we could always remember who sent it to us, and keep the special holiday wishes. Now you can decorate your tree with your recycled movie DVD and Christmas card ornaments. This way you can upcycle a trash item and keep a special memories of holidays past displayed for everyone to enjoy.