I no longer have my daughter living with me because she is married with children of her own. However, my 16 year old Grand daughter will be staying with me during spring break.
1. Make a trip to the store to look for material for a new outfit for her. You can get very inexpensive material at Walmart. Always look in the $1.50 per yard section first. I have found a great deal of beautiful material in that section. This is a great thing to do because you will not only teach your daughter how easy it is to sew, but, it may come in handy when she lives on her own and finds herself on a tight budget. There are so many fantastic new and easy patterns! One can easily put together a skirt with a lining in a few hours. This will also teach her the value of saving money and that one does not have to give in to the tyranny of “name brands!” You can make your own clothing with the highest quality and the best stitching and never have to worry about the seams coming apart! Eventually when she gets better at sewing, she can even design her own clothes.
2. Go on a road trip together. If your daughter has her learning permit, she can share a little in the driving. This will be a fantastic time to get closer to one another since it is just the two of you! It will also help you put yourself in your daughter’s shoes. She will be more likely to open up for you than in front of other members of the family
3. Plant seedlings for you garden and map out your garden on paper. This is a good learning experience and will create warm feelings for you and your daughter to see how fast things grow. It will put you both in touch with nature which is so rejuvenating after a long winter. She will also learn the value of saving money and making healthier choices with home grown vegetables.
4. Plan a spring party with her and teach her to make the snacks as well as choosing the entertainment. This will be a great learning experience for her and allow her to put herself in your shoes and realize how hard you work to plan events for her and other family members.
5. Go for a bike ride with her if weather permits or if not go to the local health club to workout of swim. This will help you both to recover from any remnants of cabin fever left over from the long winter indoors. Not only is this good exercise but it rejuvenates the spirit, (if outdoors) provides natural vitamin D, and, releases endorphins.
6. If it is raining outside teach her to make crafts and let her choose what she would like to make. This will teach her that one can always find fun things to do to keep from getting bored when the weather is inclement.
7. Plan an evening out with just the two of you where she can choose the restaurant and the movie. This will help you see things from her perspective and allow you both some time alone with each other to enhance your relationship.
8. If so inclined write Lyrics and the melody to a song with her. Let her look on line to choose the accompaniment pattern to play for the song on the keyboard or piano. If she is already musical inclined and has her own idea for an accompaniment pattern, then let her play it. You both can sing the song together and record it on a CD so that you will have something precious that you can listen to later. While singing your body releases endorphins making you feel good and ready to take on the world again.
9. Plan a special meal for family with your daughter and have her participate in every step. This will teach her the joy and tremendous satisfaction in serving others while learning to prepare a meal. She will also come away with a renewed appreciation for what you do every day.
10. Teach her to make decorations for the next upcoming holiday instead of buying decorations in the store. Not only can you save money but it teaches you to become self sufficient. You can get many ideas on line for any type of holiday decorations that you can make yourself.
These are a few ideas of fun and learning activities to participate in and teach your daughter. Of course, you may not want to do them all in this upcoming spring vacation but at least I put them out there for whenever you might want to use them. Most of all just plain enjoy your precious daughter and let her know how much you love her, because, it won’t be long and she will no longer be living under your roof! The memories you build now will last a life time.