There are a few Valentine’s Day crafts that can be used as decorations. This not only gives you something fun to work on, but it helps you to save money on decorations. One example would be a homemade heart garland. Learning how to make a Valentine’s Day garland is not too hard to do. While the steps are easy to complete, it may take a little time and patience. But when you are done, you will have a brand new garland to hang up for Valentine’s Day.
The materials can be found in stores that sell crafts and school supplies or office supplies. The stores include AC Moore, Michaels Crafts, Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, The Dollar Tree, and Rite-Aid. You may even have a few of the materials around the house already. The materials needed can all be found at affordable prices.
Here are the materials, directions, and tips on how to make a Valentine’s Day garland. Some of the steps do have a few tips, so you should read through all of the directions before starting on the craft.
Note: If there are any young children trying out this craft, then adult supervision is necessary, as it does involve the use of scissors.
Large Heart Craft Confetti (optional).
Red, Pink, and/or White Construction Paper (optional).
String or Yarn.
Clear Glue (optional).
1. Measure and cut the string or yarn for your garland. How long your string will be depends on your preference. Think about how long you want your garland to be and how much time you want to spend working on this craft.
2. Next you will need the hearts to put onto the garland. You can gather the hearts you need in two ways:
A. Buy large heart craft confetti from the craft stores. Look for the biggest hearts you can find. If they do not have holes in them, you will have to use the hole puncher on each one.
B. You can draw and cut the hearts out of construction paper. The size of each heart is up to you, but you will still need to use a hole puncher to punch holes in them.
3. Punch a hole in the hearts you plan to use. Try to punch the hole near the top center, but not close enough for it to rip.
4. A pack or two of beads may be helpful with keeping the hearts in place. Make sure the beads you buy are large enough to fit on the string you are using (but small enough so that you can tie each end in a knot or two without the beads sliding over it).
If you want to use Valentine’s Day beads, you can find beads shaped as a heart. The colors can include red, pink, white, and clear.
5. Come up with a design you want with the beads and hearts. It may be helpful to lay out the design on the floor or table.
Design tip: Try to start and end your design with beads. You will need to tie each end in a knot or two to keep everything from sliding off. Since the holes in the beads will probably be smaller than the hole punch, it will be easier to do this if you start and end it with the beads.
6. Put something on one end of the garland, so that the beads and hearts will not slide off the other end. You can find bead stoppers in craft stores.
7. Carefully slide your beads and hearts onto the string. Take your time with this. Rushing through may cause you to mess up. Remember to allow enough room on the string to tie each end and tape it up.
Tip: If you run out of beads and hearts, you can always add more or cut the string.
8. Carefully tie each end of the string in a knot, until the beads cannot slide past the knot. You can double and triple the knot if need be. Some people will even place a drop of clear glue on the knot to keep it from coming untied.
9. Use Scotch Tape to attach each end to the wall, door, or wherever you want to hang it up. Use stronger tape if Scotch Tape does not hold.
An alternative would be to tie each end to a pushpin or wherever you are hanging it up.
Now that you learned how to make a Valentine’s Day garland, go ahead and try this craft out yourself! Take your time and do not rush through it, and in the end it will be very rewarding. You will have your own Valentine’s Day garland that stands out from the crowd! Come up with your own design and add your own personal touch to your garland. Work on this craft alone or with a loved one. This craft can be done at home, in school classrooms, or in child care centers as a fun Valentine’s Day craft. Classes and families can each work on a small garland or they can work on one big one together. If you are doing this craft at home, use it to pass the time or to create your own Valentine’s Day decorations. Hang it up when you are done and show it off to your loved ones and guests!
Be creative and have fun learning how to make a Valentine’s Day garland! Happy Valentine’s Day!