There are many Christmas crafts for children and adults to try during the holidays. For example, everyone can learn how to make a paper Christmas tree. Anyone who enjoys creating their own decorations can make a paper Christmas tree to place on the table or shelf. This craft is also great for any child who wants to decorate his or her own room for the holidays. They can participate in a fun craft and still decorate. It’s like two Christmas activities in one!
This craft is easy and can be done at home, schools, or child care centers (with an age appropriate group of course). It only takes a few materials that can be found around the house. Most of the extra materials can be found in craft stores or stores like Wal-Mart and Target. Depending on the materials used for this craft, adults may need to supervise and help young children with this craft.
Here are the ideas, materials, and directions on how to make a paper Christmas tree. If you have never done this craft before, then you should read through all of the directions before getting started.
Green or White Construction Paper.
Crayons or colored pencils.
Empty Toilet Paper Roll.
Stapler and Staples.
Small Colorful Craft Cotton Balls.
Christmas Craft Confetti.
Poster Board, Cardboard, or Paper Plate.
1. First of all, see if you have any green construction paper. If you do not, you can take a piece of white construction paper and color it green with the crayons or colored pencils.
2. Roll the piece of construction paper into the shape of a cone. Use scotch tape, glue, or a stapler to keep it in place. If you are using glue, then give it some time to dry. If small children are participating in this craft, then you may want to re-consider using the stapler. You may have to glue or tape it from the inside and outside.
3. Cut the bottom of the paper until it is completely even.
4. Use the washable markers to decorate the tree. You can decorate in any way you would like. Keep it simple by drawing dots on the tree to act as ornaments and squiggly lines to act as tinsel. If you would rather not keep it simple, you can take your time to draw more detail, such as ornaments of different shapes. If you would like to, you can also glue Christmas craft confetti or small colorful craft cotton balls to the tree, giving the glue some time to dry. You should also give the markers some time to dry, so that they do not smudge on the tree.
5. If you would like, decorate the empty toilet paper roll. You can color it, draw decorations on it, or both.
6. Glue, tape, or staple the toilet paper roll to the inside of the tree. This will act as the base. Remember to let any glue used dry before continuing the project.
7. If you are having trouble getting your tree to stand up, you can always glue the bottom of the empty toilet paper roll to a piece of cardboard or poster board, or a paper plate. Allow the glue some time to dry. You can also try using the tape, but it may be easier to glue it.
8. Glue a piece of colored construction paper (in any shape you would like) or a small colorful craft cotton ball to the top of the tree to act as the tree topper. Allow the glue some time to dry.
Learning how to make a paper Christmas tree is an easy and fun craft. You can have everyone in your family or class create one. When the trees are completed, set them up to decorate and show off.
As you create your Christmas tree out of paper, you can be as creative as you would like. The amount and styles of the tree decorations you draw on your tree is up to you. This is your Christmas tree, so add your own personal touch to it!
Be creative and have fun making your own paper Christmas tree. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!