Skype is currently the best and cheapest VoIP service featuring free video calling and Skype calls, group video calling, instant messaging, caller ID and voice mail, SMS, call forwarding and many more. All you have to do is to create a Skype account and invite your friends to join.
Why Would You Want to Delete Your Skype Account?
Although Skype is an excellent tool for staying in touch, as your contact list keeps expanding, privacy issues start to emerge. For instance, there may be times when you simply wish to log in to talk to your friend, but your boss is also online. Currently, Skype does not offer the option to get offline for specific contacts. You can only choose the “Invisible” mode to avoid certain contacts, but this is not always the best option.
For that reason, many Skype users choose to delete their Skype account and either create a separate one where they keep their personal contacts or switch to a different VoIP service. However, keep in mind that, just like Facebook, your Skype account can only be disabled and not permanently deleted; at least up until now.
How to Delete Your Skype Account
Disabling your Skype account is simple and can be accomplished in just a few steps.
1. Log into your Skype account using your unique Skype name and password.
2. Click on the ‘Subscription Settings’ tab on the right and locate the ‘Cancel Subscription’ feature.
3. Click on ‘Cancel’ and a confirmation window will pop up asking you whether you are sure you wish to cancel your subscription or not. Click ‘Yes’.
4. If you have Skype credits left on your account, then you can ask for a refund. If not, simply move on with the onscreen directions.
5. Remove your personal info such as full name, email address and phone number by clicking on ‘Profile Details’ at the bottom left.
6. Click ‘Edit’ and delete your name, birthday, gender, country and city info. Do not forget to click on ‘Save Settings’ for your actions to take effect.
7. Do the same for your phone and email settings. Again, save your changes before moving on to the next tab.
8. Deleting your profile details and photos will make you invisible to profile searches.
9. Do not log into Skype for 10 days until your account is disabled.
• You cannot actually remove your Skype name from your contacts’ lists. Nevertheless, you can send them a personal email informing them that you have disabled your Skype account asking them to remove you from their lists. However, even if they ignore your request, they cannot contact you as you will always appear offline and they will not be able to browse your profile as you would have already deleted your profile details.
• If you log into your account before the 10 days period, you account will be reactivated and you will have to do the process from the beginning all over again.
• If you choose to permanently quit Skype, you can remove it from your computer too. For Windows, just click on ‘Start’, ‘Control Panel’ and ‘Programs and Features’. Scroll down the list, locate Skype and click on ‘Uninstall’. You may have to restart your computer for all Skype components to be removed.