Each and every year millions of people are forced to stay put when vacation time comes around because they did not know how to save for a family vacation. Here are some helpful tips to get the ball rolling and the total rising on you vacation piggy bank.
1. Get the kids involved. If you have children you know how excited they get when you include them and how unhappy they are when they feel left out. If you pick a destination with the entire family in mind and try to involve the whole family kids will be likely to forgo allowances or contribute change here and there to help push your total up.
2. Set aside a certain amount each week. If you tally up the total costs of your vacation with a little wiggle room in either direction you should be able to calculate how much money needs to be set aside each week to reach your goal. By knowing exactly how much you need you can effectively remove some of the stress associated with saving and make it easier to rack up the bucks.
3. Check schedules of the countries or hotels you hope to visit and plan your vacation during the off season. Hotels and resorts are cheaper during the off season because they just want to fill their rooms and keep the lights on. You can get some killer deals by booking vacations during the off season and you can pretty much ensure that you have your pick of rooms and the resort nearly all to yourself.
4. Plan on asking the locals. Do not hire pricey tour guides or plan for packages that include guided tours. These packages are generally more expensive. If you plan to ask the locals about their culture and where the best places are to eat you can pretty much avoid the expensive tourist restaurants and shops and get a great deal on items. Locals of exotic locations are just like us, they like to get the most for their money, they’ll be sure to have lots of money saving tips.
5. Share the bill. If you and your family plan to go with another family try to figure out just how much each family will be responsible for. Hotels and travel agencies have great deals for large groups and aside from the savings you will also have company. If you get the families or groups together and create a common fund you can ensure that between all the people going you can raise the money.
Any of these options will work great in and of themselves to help you save up money for your international vacation or even save money while on vacation. With one or a combination of these things you will be sure to have a great, marginally inexpensive vacation that you will never forget. There are also great websites out there that help to track your spending and some banks automatically put money into another account.