Skype is probably the most popular VoIP program via the web. All you need is a computer, internet access and a personal account and you can make free Skype-to-Skype calls, video chat, send instant text messages or even make low-cost landline calls. Creating a Skype account is extremely easy and demands no technical knowledge.
1. Visit the official Skype web page by clicking here. On the main home page, click on the ‘Get Skype’ tab on the top list bar and choose your computer’s software (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile phone if you want Skype on the go or TV if you own an internet TV.
2. Wait for a few seconds until your pc finishes downloading the exe. File and install Skype following the onscreen direction.
3. Once you are done, visit the official web page again or click on ‘Sign Up’ on the Skype log in window. Click on ‘Join Skype’ on the top right corner of the main home page.
4. Enter your first and last name, your email address, country, language, Skype name and password. These are mandatory entries to create your personal account.
5. If you wish, you can also create a Skype profile by entering your personal details such as birthday, gender, mobile number and city.
6. Once you are done filling the entries, click on the ‘I Agree-Continue’ button.
7. If the name you have chosen as your Skype name is already taken, then type another one or choose among the ones that Skype provides you.
8. Afterwards, double-click on the Skype icon on your desktop to launch the application. Enter your Skype name and password and click on ‘Sign In’.
9. Find your friends on Skype by clicking on ‘Add People’ on the top right corner. Send your invitations and once they approve your request, start making calls by highlighting a contact’s name and clicking on ‘Call’. You can also text message a contact by entering your message on the text box and clicking enter.
10. Moreover, by signing in on your account on the Skype web page, you can manage or get an overview of your account. You can even set a voicemail, call forwarding or purchase a subscription for low-cost calls on landline phones and mobile numbers.
Keep in mind that your Skype profile is public to searches. If you wish to change these settings, then click on ‘Tools’, ‘Options’ and ‘Privacy’. From there you can choose who will be able to call you, text you and see you have a camera installed.