It is time to do an oil change on your own Lexus LS 400 vehicle. You are tired of paying somebody else to change your oil, you know they use the cheapest oil on the market and you want your car to run forever. A do it yourself oil change on your Lexus LS 400 is easy to do and will make you feel good knowing you are doing your best to save money during hard economic times. Don’t take your car to Lexus, they charge too much to change the oil in your car.
Things You Will Need
• Socket set
• Car manual
• New oil
• New filter
• Leather work gloves
• Floor jack
• Jack stands
• Oil pan
• Bucket to dispose of old motor oil
• Shop rags
1. Drive to the motor parts store to buy a new filter and oil for your particular type of vehicle. If you don’t know what type of oil or filter you need, there is two ways to find out this information. Ask the motor parts store or check in your car manual for the information. Drive home and park your car in your driveway. Jack your car up with your floor jack and place the jack stands under your front tires. Do not let the car cool down. Prepare for your first do it yourself oil change on your Lexus LS 400.
2. Open the hood of your car and secure it with the safety arm. Place the leather gloves on your hands. Pull the oil dipstick out of your car. Take off the oil cap. Grab your oil pan, socket set, and move under your vehicle and get ready to do your first oil change on your Lexus LS 400.
3. Take the back part of the engine under cover off your car using your socket set, set it to the side. You can also take enough screws out of the back of the engine under cover and bend it back to save time. Take the oil pan and place it under the oil pan. Take the oil plug out of your particular vehicle and let the oil flow out of the car and into the oil pan. Make sure you are wearing gloves because you don’t want the oil to burn your skin. Make sure the oil flows into the oil pan because this is an eco-friendly oil change you are doing on your Lexus LS 400.
Note-You do not have to take the under cover off to drain the oil in a Lexus LS 400, however it is smart to take the back part of the under cover off because it will get in your way while you are trying to take out the oil filter. If you do not at least bend the under cover back, the oil from the oil filter area will often drip on the under cover. You want to save money while changing the oil on your Lexus LS 400, but you also want to do a clean job.
4. Take off the oil filter by loosening it with the oil filter wrench, empty oil filter housing, and replace it with new oil filter housing. Replace the oil filter on your particular vehicle, make sure you take a bit of new oil on your finger and wipe it around the rim of the oil filter. This will allow your filter to seal on your car and it will not leak. You do not want to have an oil leak on your Lexus LS 400. You are trying to save money during bad economic times, doing the job right will give you the best gas mileage possible for your car. Remember a Lexus LS 400 is a luxury car, but only gets 18 MPG on the highway. Tighten the oil filter by hand or snug it tight with your oil filter wrench, this can sometimes depend on how strong you are.
5. Allow the oil to drain out of your vehicle until it stops dripping. Replace the oil plug and wipe off the excess oil with a shop rag. Replace the engine under cover and take the oil pan filled with old oil out from under your car. Take the old oil and pour it into the bucket using a funnel.
6. Jack up your car and remove the jack stands. Jack your car back down, put the jack and jack stands away. Put your tools away.
7. Take your new oil and pour it into the engine. Check your cars manual for type of oil and the amount of oil you need for your particular car. A Lexus LS 400 takes 5W-30 oil and needs 4 1/2 quarts of oil. Fill the engine with the new oil. Replace the oil cap and the engine dipstick. Start your car for five minutes. Check the level of your oil. Wipe any oil away from your engine you may have spilled. This is the best way to do a do it yourself eco-friendly oil change.
8. Take the old oil to your auto parts store and empty it in their bin. The auto parts store will dispose of the old oil properly in an eco-friendly way. You are doing your part to save the environment, you are making sure you keep your car running smoothly and trying to save money during hard economic times.
9. Reset the service engine light on your vehicle if it has one. Drive your vehicle normally; you just finished changing the oil on your Lexus LS 400.
• Make sure you wear leather gloves when you are working on your motor vehicle. The engine oil needs to be warm when you change it to help it flow smoothly
• Dispose of engine oil properly, this is the eco-friendly part of your oil change
• Check your car manual for oil specifications
• Use jack stands for safety purposes
• Good idea to use synthetic oil for your Lexus LS 400, you own a luxury car and you want it to run like a luxury car