Forget the neckwear, ties, scarves…look for something the man in your life will enjoy. Choosing a gift that suits their individual style is a welcome surprise, especially if your gift giving history has leaned toward the handmade, sweet and a little er, creative. My dad will be especially happy when he unwraps my gift this year, if he doesn’t fall off his easy chair.
Gift Idea for Dad, Grandpa, or Any War-Documentary Type
1. The Pacific . This 10 hour World War II miniseries by “Band of Brothers” producers Stephen Spielberg and Tom Hanks. 10 hours, 6 discs plus behind the scenes clips and historical extras is a Christmas gift that keeps on giving for all those history buff types. This collection was based off the books, “With the Old Breed” by Eugene Sledge and “Helmet for my Pillow” by Robert Leckie. Throw those books in to round off the gift you desire.
Gift Idea for the Funny Guy
2. The Other Guys . In a completely different style, consider giving this silly action/adventure/comedy starring Will Ferrel and Mark Walberg. If the man on your list loved Talledaga Nights or Anchorman. or is a big fan of “buddy cop” movies then they will probably enjoy this silly escape.
Gift Idea for Everyman
3. SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman an authority on survival skills, he served as teh Chief Survival instructor in the Special Air Service for 26 years. This book is a complete course in how to survive in any condition, any part of the world. Helpful and obscure tips throughout. Includes accurate pictures of edible plants and their poisonous counterparts, how to set up temporary camp, first aid and survival tips for nuclear attacks, fire, ice, war… Really the perfect “man gift” even for the desk jockey. Who knows what secret fantasies lie deep within. Since it is so inexpensive I plan on picking up several copies.
Gift Idea for History Buffs
4. Washington . by Ron Chernow is a masterful book. This comprehensive biography on our first president is more than just a complimation of facts, the colorful, indepth style captures Washington’s emotions, prejudices, flaws and insecurities. 817 pages, this hefty book is a great gift idea for a man who loves to read, loves history and/or politics.
Gift Idea for Movie Buffs
5. Inception Give this to the man in your life who loves dark, science fiction/ action/adventure/fantasy/thillers. Nearly 2 1/2 hours long, this new release stars Leonardio DeCaprio and is a heady dark story of corporate espionage.
For the Gadget Guy Who Loves Movies
6. Personal Movie Theater . Okay, this is cool. Hammacher Sclemmer always offers nifty gifts, and this is the niftiest. It is a personal media viewer ( a pair of glasses) that allows the wearer an experience equivalent to watching a widescreen 55″ TV from 10-feet. Developed from U.S.Military technology, it connects to an iPod, DVD player or game system. Complete with earphones for a private viewing experience.
Gift Idea for the Keeper of the Remote
7. Logitech The Harmony Advanced Universal Remote has your guys number. This remote will finally put an end to the 7 remotes scattered about the living room that have to be turned on in a certain order. Easy to set up and even easier to use. The only downside is that now everyone in the family can turn channel surf without asking how.