Cream puffs are a delight to eat and a special treat from the bakery. Why not make them at home. Forget the trip downtown with their high prices. This recipe is broken down into three parts. First the actual cream puff, then the custard filling and finally the chocolate frosting. So what you are actually getting is three recipes in one. Now that is a real treat.
Cream puff ingredients:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
Cream puff custard ingredients:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate frosting ingredients:
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 2 ½ tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
Cream puff directions:
- In a sauce pan bring water and margarine to a boil.
- Add flour and salt and mix till all the flour residue leaves the pan sides.
- Add eggs, one at a tie, beating well after each addition.
- Remove from heat and on a cookie sheet drop tablespoon full’s of batter onto it.
- Bake at 400′ for 30 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and place puffs on cooling rack to cool.
- Set tray aside and continue preparing the custard.
Cream puff custard directions:
- Combine sugar, flour and salt. Add milk and cook in a double boiler over the hot water until the mixture is thick.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg with a little custard mixture and add to rest of custard and cook for an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in margarine. When cool add vanilla.
- Once cream puffs are cooled you are ready to split or slice them in half and fill with the custard filling.
- The amount each cream puff is filled with is entirely up to the baker.
Chocolate frosting directions:
- In medium sized pan, combine chocolate, cream and butter.
- Heat till melted and mix thoroughly.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in egg yolk, salt and vanilla.
- Add the sugar and mix thoroughly once again.
- Now that the cream puffs are filled and the frosting is slightly cooled you can now drizzle the puffs with the frosting.
- Place on serving platter.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Be patient through this multi part recipe. In time you will get faster preparing these sweet and smooth tasting pastries.
- Do not worry about puffs being uniform. They are known to be of different shapes and sizes .
- If you want them to be more uniform place batter into paper liners and use a muffin pan.
- If using paper liners for the puffs remember they will be a little more difficult to split and fill.