Eggs Benedict is very filling and something a little different to have at lunch. It does take a little preparation to make, but the results are delicate and very delicious.
Eggs Benedict Ingredients
* 1/4 cup distilled vinegar
* 16 large eggs
* 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 6 slices Canadian bacon
* 3 plain English muffins split in half
* Hollandaise sauce, recipe below
Eggs Benedict Instructions
1. Take a large skillet that can hold about 3 inches of water and pour in the vinegar. Allow to increase to a simmer.
2. If necessary crack an egg into a cup and slide into the water and vinegar. Add the other 5 eggs.
3. Carefully turn the eggs in the water and vinegar with a spoon until the whites have become firm. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Take a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the water and vinegar and lay on a towel. Let dry slightly so there is no excess water.
5. During the eggs cooking in the water and vinegar, in another skillet melt butter and add the Canadian bacon. Cook both sides, about a minute each.
6. Toast the English muffin halves and place an egg and a slice of bacon on the half. Spoon on the Hollandaise sauce and serve.
Hollandaise Sauce Ingredients
* 1 1/3 cup unsalted butter
* 2 large egg yolks
* 2 tablespoons cold water
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
* White pepper or pinch of Cayenne pepper
Hollandaise Sauce Instructions
1. In a skillet melt the butter and set aside for a few minutes.
2. Skim off the white foam from the butter and discard.
3. Pour the remaining butter into a container that has a spout.
4. Add 2 inches of water in a small saucepan and simmer.
5. Continue to let the water simmer and in a medium bowl combine together the egg yolks and the cold water. Whisk together until the yolks are frothy and place the bowl in the saucepan with the water.
6. Continue to whisk until the yolks are thick.
7. Remove the yolks from the heat and whisk again for about 30 seconds.
8. Take the saucepan off the stove and set the bowl in the water again. Pour in the butter and whisk with together with the yolks. Whisk in the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
9. Add to the English muffin, egg and Canadian bacon.
More or less eggs can be used, depending on how many people are being fed.
Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce
Shrimp with cocktail sauce is an easy lunch snack. Many stores sell pre-packaged shrimp and cocktail sauce frozen or it can be put together easily on a plate and the sauce in a bowl in the center. These are filling as well and are great to leave out and snack on all afternoon. They work perfect to have out before dinner as well. If purchasing pre-packaged, make sure to leave it out that morning, so that the shrimp will defrost.
Artichoke Spinach Dip and Chips
Artichoke spinach dip and chips is healthy and so filling as well. It can be a complete meal, since there is cheese, artichoke hearts and spinach in it. It is also great to leave out to snack on and have before dinner as well.
Artichoke Spinach Dip Ingredients
* An 8 ounce package of soft cream cheese
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
* 1clove of garlic that has been peeled and minced
* 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt
* A pinch of salt and pepper
* 14 ounces of artichoke hearts that are chopped
* 1/2 cup of spinach that is chopped
* 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
Artichoke Spinach Dip Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take a small to medium baking dish and grease slightly.
3. Take a medium bowl and combine together the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, the garlic, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Combine together thoroughly.
4. Add in the artichoke hearts and the spinach. Combine together thoroughly again.
5. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and add the mozzarella cheese to the top. Place in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
The artichoke spinach dip can be placed in the center of a large serving tray and the chips placed around it. Tortilla chips will work, as well as using baked flat bread.
You may not want to eat these are at the same time, however the eggs Benedict work perfect to start the lunch off with and the shrimp and artichoke spinach dip work together great for an all day snack and meal.