A common pain reliever or additive to cold and flu medications, an ibuprofen overdose in a dog can prove lethal. Dogs often accidentally consume the pain reliever by chewing up a bottle or accidentally swallowing dropped pills that the human fails to pick up.
Ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, taken in excess it can destroy kidney function and seriously injure the stomach. Within an hour of ingestion,approximately 60 to 80 percent of the ibuprofen is absorbed into the dog’s system. A dog that accidentally ingests the substance may begin to exhibit symptoms in as little as four hours or not until four or five days. The dog can develop stomach ulcers and bleeding with severe kidney impairment.
Symptoms to watch for are:
Lack of appetite
Any dog exhibiting such symptoms should be promptly evaluated and treated by a veterinarian. The veterinary will determine the toxic effect of the drug on the dog to help determine a coarse of treatment. If the dog recently ingested the substance the veterinarian will generally begin to administer charcoal to help absorb the toxin in the dog’s digestive tract.
If the dog begins to suffer seizures it will receive anti-seizure medication to control the neurological symptoms of the overdose.
The dog will require hospitalization and intravenous fluids. Stomach medications will be administered to treat the ulcers the NSAID causes and help protect the stomach from further damage. The dog may require blood transfusions. If the ulcers are severe and the damage to the stomach extensive the dog may require immediate surgery.
If the kidney impairment is severe the dog may die, according to Pet Place. Dog’s who inadvertently ingest more than 175 mgs are at serious risk of renal failure. A dosage that exceeds 400 mgs causes neurological symptoms to develop such as, seizures, coma and eventual death.
Ibuprofen administered as directed by a veterinarian can prove beneficial to a dog. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, it can relieve pain and inflammation successfully.
Aggressive treatment of an ibuprofen overdose in dogs can be successful if the dog is treated quickly. It will generally require hospitalization for several days or even a week.
Keep all medications safely out of the reach of pets. Remember that a large dog can easily stand on its hind legs to reach objects on a counter top and a small dog may even jump onto the counter’s surface to investigate. Even if the ibuprofen is safely contained in a child poor container the dog can easily chew through the plastic to reach the medication within. Even if the dog does not mean to eat the medication while chewing up the container it may inadvertently swallow enough to cause toxic results.
Dog Owners Guide