I can’t say that 2011 is a better year for fans of horror movies than 2010 was. The selection of scary movies coming to theaters this year is not nearly as deep as last year. This, however, doesn’t mean that there aren’t a few horror movies coming to the box office that will be worth watching. 2011 will see the end of the Saw era, but even with “Saw 20” or whatever number they would’ve been on this year, the 2011 scary movies are still dominated by sequels. Throw in the remake of a classic and a haunted box, and one can still find five movies that might just give the audience a jolt of fear or at least some decent entertainment. Here are the five most anticipated bloodcurdling and frightening movies of the year.
5. Paranormal Activity 3 – The details known for the third film of this horror trilogy are scarce at best. We know that it is set for an October 21st, 2011, release and that star Katie Featherston will be back for it. When the first two films of a horror series do well at the box office, then it doesn’t matter what the plot is. With “Paranormal Activity 3,” they just know it is a go, the rest can be figured out along the way.
4. Dibbuk Box – Another horror movie that we know very little about. It will be in direct competition with “Paranormal Activity 3,” as this horror flick is set to come to theaters October 24th, 2011. The plot is simple. A family is haunted by a box that contains an evil curse. Why is it so anticipated? Two reasons. One, 2011 looks like a weak year for horror movies, and two, because it is supposedly based on a true story. Does it even matter how loosely based on truth it is? When I hear the words horror movie and true story used together, that alone peeks my interest and gives me the chills.
3. Final Destination 5 – Okay, the bridge collapsed. Ha ha, you all die! I’m sorry there were what? Survivors! Well, we can’t have that now, can we? Could you imagine how everybody would just laugh at me if I let them live? I will not let them make me a joke. I’m just going to have to have a little fun with these so-called survivors. What’s that Mr. Director? You want these deaths to be darker than the ones in “Final Destination 4?” No problem!
2. Scream 4 – What did you think the Woodsboro Murders were gone forever? Good news for horror fans; not only is there going to be a fourth Scream movie, but an entire new Scream Trilogy. September 21st, 2011, will bring Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette back to the big screen to do battle with the Ghostface Killer. It is currently unknown how big their roles will be in the new Scream Trilogy. They will be joined in Scream 4 by young actresses Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere. If you are looking for a new goofy and clueless deputy, say hello to Anthony Anderson. I’m not really sure what kind of role he will play other than he is listed as a deputy, but I’m sure hoping he is the new main cop on the scene.
1. Thing – What would the best horror movies of 2011 be without a remake? Let’s hope that Mary Elizabeth Winstead fares better against The Thing than she did against death itself in “Final Destination 3”. Don’t worry though; she has help in Joel Edgerton. Don’t say who is that! The man helped raise Luke Skywalker; surely he is able to help fight off The Thing. What? You expected Luke Skywalker himself? Okay, so they both might die. It does make for a potential sequel, though.