We all know he takes his reporting gig seriously, but Anderson Cooper may want to consider calling it a day in Egypt.
For the second time in one week, the “Anderson Cooper 360” anchor came under attack – as his caravan was surrounded and hit with rocks, one of which broke the window right next to Cooper’s seat.
On Thursday night (February 3), Anderson called in to CNN’s “Parker Spitzer” and recounted the happening. He told, “I was in a vehicle that basically was going through a crowd of Mubarak supporters … there was no other way around it…and we basically got surrounded by them and attacked.”
He added, “A rock was thrown through the window on my side, which was fine, and we just started screaming to the driver, ‘Go, go, go,’ and we got out of there, luckily, and we are fine.”
With the Middle Eastern country overwhelmed with turmoil, Anderson Cooper was the victim of a previous mob attack on Wednesday (February 2).
Of the violence befalling the U.S. news journalist, CNN producer Steve Brusk tweeted, “Anderson said he was punched 10 times in the head as pro-Mubarak mob surrounded him and his crew trying to cover demonstration.”
Desperate to escape the brutality, Cooper is said to have escaped the mob by making his way to a nearby building’s rooftop before bravely going back on the air to tell viewers that he and his team were attempting to find a neutral zone when they “were set upon by pro-Mubarak supporters punching us in the head. The crowd kept growing, kept throwing punches, kicks…suddenly a young man would look at you and punch you in the face.”
Anderson added that the attackers “pushed and shoved the CNN crew and punched them in the head… but no one was seriously hurt.”
The 43-year-old is currently in Egypt to cover ongoing protests aimed at controversial President Hosni Mubarak.
Despite the recent attacks, Anderson has stated that he will continue to report there.
The CNN news anchor is not the first in his occupation to experience such opposition while covering political unrest in Egypt.
Earlier this week, Time magazine revealed that CBS’ chief foreign affairs correspondent Lara Logan and her crew were being held by Egyptian police outside Cairo’s Israeli embassy.
Fox News also previously reported a more severe incident in which their correspondent, Greg Palkot, and his cameraman Olaf Wiig were severely beaten, though they have been released from a Cairo hospital.
©2010, GossipCenter.com. All Rights Reserved