Consumption of alcohol is a favorite pastime of many young adults in the United States. If you recently consumed alcohol and felt very ill not only after consumption, but also during consumption, you may have a unique genetic health complication that leads to alcohol allergy symptoms. As a young adult with a desire to engage in social activities with alcohol consumption, it is important to understand what the signs of alcohol intolerance may be and how the symptoms can be treated.
Within the human body, there is a genetic mechanism by which we have the ability to breakdown very complex nutrients for use in energy production. For individuals who have an alcohol allergy, this genetic process is inhibited often leading to signs of a hangover just shortly after drinking has begun. Unfortunately, these symptoms are often associated with a hangover and, as a result, drinking alcohol on a regular basis continues despite feeling ill.
If you experience a change in your physical well being during the early phase of alcohol consumption, it is very likely you are suffering from an alcohol allergy. While the typical hangover-related symptoms develop – nausea, vomiting, and head pain – individuals with alcohol allergies will also develop signs of an upper respiratory complication. The symptoms of an alcohol allergy will begin, usually, within minutes after alcohol consumption begins and includes itchy skin, runny nose, difficulty breathing, and even complications with water eyes. Often, these same symptoms can be associated with multiple food allergies and can be challenging to causally relate back to alcohol as a result.
While treatment is typically not needed to mitigate the symptoms of an alcohol allergy, you may want to consult a physician to confirm the diagnosis. Unfortunately, there is no cure for an alcohol allergy so many sufferers simply have to discontinue consuming the alcohol products they enjoy. For short term allergy symptoms, using an over-the-counter antihistamine will help to improve health but should only be used when alcohol consumption has ceased and a doctor has approved you to do so.
Alcohol consumption is common in the United States and continues to be a regular social activity among adults of all ages. For younger adults who are new to the realm of alcohol use, there may be a surprise to learn that an alcohol allergy exists. If you have symptoms of upper respiratory distress, that occur in the minutes after starting the consumption of alcohol, then an allergic reaction may be of concern and should be diagnosed by a physician accordingly.
Sources: Seven Weeks to Sobriety, by Joan Mathews Larson