There are many reasons why someone would want a laptop, and among them the need for portability. In a world where time is running increasingly faster, it is necessary to accomplish the tasks that we usually perform in front of a desktop computer, at any time of day and any place we could find ourselves. This is why laptops have become indispensable tools in our everyday life. But because we all have different needs, the laptop manufacturers try to find their place in the market by creating different models to meet specific user requirements. Thus, we have on the market laptops for gamers, students, videographers, business travelers and even to replace desktop computers and dozens of laptop brands to choose from.
Technology is evolving at a rapid pace and user demands are increasing, which is why it is not surprising that choosing a good laptop from the infinite range of models that have appeared over night may be an overwhelming process for some. To help you make a good decision, I will highlight below some tips you should keep in mind so that you will find the best laptop to buy that will comply with all of your requirements.
1. Product price. Keep an eye on your spending budget! For some, price is not a problem, and if this is your case you can jump to the next point, but for most of us, price is a decisive factor, especially in these times of crisis. A higher price of the product does not always guarantee the best performance, so it’s important to establish a budget that you are willing to spend for buying a new laptop from the beginning. Establishing the budget will shrink the search area making it easier for you to find the best laptop for 2014.
2. Laptop portability. We all know that the main advantage of a laptop versus a desktop computer is portability. As the laptop has a bigger size it will be harder to carry with us wherever we need. Therefore it is very important to keep in mind the size of the laptop. Mid-size laptops, 15 inch, are generally the most sought after because they can be used for most activities offering maximum comfort and can be quite easily transported in general. Larger laptops, 17 inch, are generally designed to replace desktop computers because they are more difficult and awkward to move them from one place to another. Small laptops, 11-13 inch, ultra-portables, are meant for users who are always in a hurry and always on the road, such as students and business travelers.
3. Laptop configuration. After we narrowed the search area only to models that fit our budget and the best size suited for activities carried out routinely by us, it’s time to take a look at one of the most important aspects, namely the laptop configuration. A better processor and a larger amount of RAM will ensure us that we can perform multiple tasks simultaneously and will provide faster loading and running for applications and programs used. The graphic card has an important role if you intend to use the laptop for playing games or 3D editing applications. Saving files is done on hard disk, consequently a greater capacity will give us a greater volume of information that we can save. We will need an optical drive to read CDs and DVDs. A wireless network card will allow us to connect to the Internet from any public place where there is an wireless network access point and an integrated video camera will facilitate video communication with friends or attending video conferences.
4.Battery life. If you’re the kind of people who travel a lot, a battery with a longer life, will allow the use of laptop for a longer period without worrying too much that you will remain unable to use the laptop. In general the battery life of ultraportable laptops is much higher than the battery life for desktop replacement laptops. As a guarantee that you will not remain in the inability to use the laptop is advisable to buy a second battery compatible with the chosen model.
5. Choosing the laptop brand! Every consumer has the tendency to prefer certain brands over others for some reason or other. If we used a laptop before, it is more likely to choose the same brand if we were satisfied with the one that we used. For example, someone who used an Apple before will tend to choose an Apple as a replacement and will not study in detail the characteristics of the other brands unless he wants something that Apple can not offer him. Indeed it’s much easier to decide on a brand if you have previous experience with laptops, but if you want to buy a laptop for the first time, choosing from dozens of brands available in the market may prove as difficult, and I would recommend to choose the brand that offers best performance at the cheapest price.
6. Laptop Warranty. As well as with other electronic products, bad things can happen with laptops also. Ask the seller what is the average turnaround time for fixing the problems and where is located the nearest service. Once something goes wrong with a laptop, you generally have to send the entire thing back to the manufacturer, this is why you have to make regular backups and keep your data on removable media drives.
7. Price comparison. After you have taken a decision about which model you want to buy, my last advice is to compare prices from multiple vendors to get the best deal. Amazon.com is one of the largest and most trusted online sellers and allows buyers to compare prices with other online sellers.