Twitter is a great way for any small businessman to network and get ahead. Twitter helps a small businessman to increase traffic, brand their product or services, network with potential customers and can even serve as a vehicle to find ideas and refinements for their business model. When used properly Twitter is an excellent tool. When used improperly it just adds to the “noise” that can be found online.
1) Twitter is Social- So be Social
For the small businessman, the purpose of being on twitter is not to connect have a conversation with a lot of people. It is to increase their business. Because of this mistake many small businessman make it totally ignore the social aspect of Twitter. A small business and does this and their own peril. The best way to get people to truly interact is to take a timeout and actually interact with them. Quid pro quo. You interact with them and they will interact with you in return.
2) Automate what you can
Being social is important, but it is also important to not spend too much time on twitter. After all you do not want to spend your whole day sending out tweets and replies. One way to do this is to automate a certain percentage of your twitter responses. Use programs to set auto DM’s when you get a new twitter followers. Auto Follow back. A program like socialoomph.com. We’ll take care of a lot of the scheduling and automation of tasks.
3) Schedule a Block of Time
twitter can become very time-consuming. Many people check it repeatedly throughout the day, trying to stay on top of any new information sent their way. This is not necessary. Make lists of anybody you want to connect with. Schedule block or blocks of time each day for Twitter. To separate ½ hour blocks should be more than sufficient. Tweet only during this time, and when the time is up: stop.
4) Use a Program to Help you find and Target new Customers
Your main goal on twitter should be to respond connect to the people you have following you and provide relative and targeted information that will interests attention customers as well as existing followers. It is desirous to grow your Twitter account as large as possible targeted people. Spending time doing this is not worth the effort. Use a piece of software like Tweet Adder to take care of this process for you. This level of automation allows you to take full advantage of your limited time for connecting with your existing followers.
5) Be Interesting and Fun
As a Small Businessman, your purpose on Twitter is to grow your business. Spending most of your time talking about commercial issues actually is counterproductive. To get ahead on Twitter at least 75% of your time should be spent being personable and having fun. People will come and engage because they like, “you.” Then, once you have their attention, is the time to try to sell them on your business with the remaining 25% of your time.