Winter season usually means bundling up in layers of cozy sweaters, over-sized cardigans, down jackets and scarves, but you don’t have to compromise on style when you’re fighting the winter blues to stay warm! Some of the season’s hottest trends will keep you warm and stylish all winter long, and you can add your own touch of style just by picking the right coat, boots and other must-have cold weather accessories. You can look glamorous, chic and pulled together with some of the season’s latest trends, but need to make sure your winter wardrobe has both stylish and functional pieces. Classic cuts and simple styles paired with a trendy accessory or cute boots will help you round out that wardrobe in a flash.
Whether you’re braving the blizzard of the season or trekking across town on a chilly winter’s day, here are just five essential cold-weather style tips for your winter wardrobe.
1. Pick the right coat. You’ll be wearing that coat day in, day out for several weeks of winter so make sure it’s something that suits your style personality. A long, quilted down coat will definitely keep you warm but it’s not necessarily on the style radar. Accessorize with some bold and bright gloves and a matching hat, and wear it with a pair of knee-high or fur-trimmed boots to freshen up your look. If you prefer a jacket, go with a classic wool pea coat or an Asian-style coat with a high collar. Another hot trend for winter? The classic tweed coat.
2. Experiment with some new boots. Riding boots, fur-trimmed ankle boots and knee-high heeled boots are a few stylish additions to any winter wardrobe, but you have to make sure the boot fits your personality and taste. If you prefer a more classic or elegant look, stick with the knee-high boots with gleaming buttons or heeled boots with a zipper. If you’re going for a tomboyish look, try on a pair of hunter boots or riding boots. Just make sure the boots you choose balance out your look when you’re wearing your coat.
3. Keep those skinny jeans! Skinny jeans can stay in your winter wardrobe but you need to make sure you’re layering up and wearing them with the right type of shoe. You can wear skinny jeans with a cozy tunic sweater or wraparound cardigan, and pair them with knee-high or ankle-length boots. If temperatures are dropping to sub-zero levels, go ahead and wear a set of thin leggings or thermals underneath.
4. Brighten up your look with bold accessories. When you’re wearing a black coat and black boots, liven up your look with a pair of bright red gloves and a matching hat. Red and black are a fierce color combination for winter and will definitely heat things up in the style department. If you’re wearing brown from head to toe, accessorize with orange, mustard yellow or even forest green. All grey ensembles can be complemented with snow white or navy blue accessories this winter.
5. Wrap it up! If you’re tired of wearing the same old scarf over the winter season, try a cape, shawl or cozy wrap instead. Colorful wraps and bold-colored capes can add a fresh twist to your indoor or outdoor ensemble, and can keep you warm and cozy just like your favorite scarf. Choose a contrasting color to your outfit to make your style statement. You can wear these around your shoulders and secure it in place with a sparkly pin in front, or just wear it loose like a big scarf around your neck. Trade the scarf for a single-color, plaid, printed or cashmere wrap this season.