The 2011-2012 NFL Season might be in jeopardy, but the 2011 NFL draft will continue as scheduled. This year we are looking at a top group of potential great NFL quarterbacks. From Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert to Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, this year’s quarterback draft class is one of the most impressive in years.
5. Ryan Mallett- Ryan Mallett is a junior entering the2011 draft from the Arkansas Razorbacks. He is 6’7″ and 253 lbs. As a starter for Arkansas, he threw for 60 touchdowns and only 18 interceptions. Ryan Mallett has many strengths, many of them focusing on his strength and size. His strong arm allows him to have great accuracy for the long throws down field while allowing for nice touch. He is a descent quarterback in the pocket and makes smart decisions. His intelligence and ability to read defenses while in the pocket makes him a strong contender to be one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. Ryan Mallett’s biggest weakness is his mobility. He has poor footwork and isn’t really mobile outside the pocket. Ryan Mallett is a potential top ten quarterback; however, during the combine there were talks about possible drug addiction and character issues. This talk could lower him in the draft rankings.
4. Christian Ponder- Christian Ponder is a senior out of Florida State. He stands at 6’2″ and 225 lbs. Christian Ponder was one of the most impressive young quarterbacks at the NFL combine. He posted a 4.65 40, which put him up there with Cam Newton. He doesn’t have the greatest arm strength, but makes up for it with his precision and accuracy. Christian Ponder has one of the highest GPAs coming into the draft which indicates his ability to learn new offensive schemes while being able to read and adjust to defenses. He has great field vision and does a great job locating his options. With Christian Ponder’s strong combine showing, he has the potential to jump into a first round draft choice.
3. Jake Locker- Jake Locker is a senior from the Washington Huskies. Jake Locker is 6’3″ and 230 lbs. He ran a 4.59 40. Jake Locker is a great athlete and has incredible mobility for a quarterback. He has a fairly strong arm, but his accuracy can be inconsistent at times. This is mainly because he has a tendency to throw off his back foot, which reduces power and accuracy. With a lot of repetition and a decent quarterback coach, this problem could be easily fixed.
2. Blaine Gabbert- Blaine Gabbert is a Junior out of Missouri. He stands at 6’5″ and 240 lbs. Blaine Gabbert can be compared to Ben Roethlisberger. Blaine Gabbert boasts a strong arm and size. He has great strength along with accuracy and touch. He has a quick release and is tough to take down with the ball. Gabbert makes smart decisions and avoids throwing into receivers who are covered. Gabbert’s footwork could be a concern for potential NFL teams, but most teams can work through that.
1. Cam Newton- Cam Newton is the top NFL prospect for the 2011 NFL Draft. He is a junior out from the Auburn Tigers and measures in a 6-5 and 250 lbs. He ran a 4.59 at his pro day. Cam Newton’s confidence in the pocket and out of the pocket makes him a great pick-up in the first round. He has a great combination of size, strength, and speed. He is able to deliver the ball quickly to his receivers with great accuracy. He has a great pocket presence and is able to throw on the run. His biggest adjustment as he enters the NFL will be playing under center more often. He will also have to work on leading his receivers as he transitions to the NFL.
The 2011 NFL draft will be April 28-30. There are a lot of top quarterbacks that we will look forward to seeing in the NFL. Cam Newton is a potential number 1 overall pick. The NFL might not have a season, but these young players are still looking to join a team.