A long, hard day of work can suck away your energy and fill you with stress. A tired, stress-filled body is not good for your health, so knowing how to relax after work is key to having a happy and healthy life. The following are 10 great ways of relaxing and resetting your stress level after a long days work.
1. Exercise. Although exercising does not sound relaxing at all, the truth of the matter is that exercising reduces stress and increases your body’s energy levels. If you can’t go to the gym, go for a jog or a walk around the neighborhood.
2. Take a Hot Bubble Bath. A hot bubble bath can help you unwind and forget about the negative parts of your day. Enjoy the distracting pleasures of soaking your tired muscles in hot water while the soapy bubbles pop against your skin.
3. Drink a Glass of Red Wine. A single glass of red wine is relaxing and promotes cellular health. Red wine contains grape skins, which contain the antioxidant resveratrol . Resveratrol has been proven to promote health of your body’s cells and fights cancer.
4. Listen to Music. Music has an internal connection to your self-conscious, and this is supported by the involuntary reaction of tapping your toe to the rhythm of the beat. Listening to a soothing song gives you a great segue from work to time off and clears your mind of work thoughts.
5. Meditate. Meditation is the process of relaxing the mind by turning off your thoughts. Leave all the stressful thoughts at your work desk and relax your mind. 5 minutes of meditation is all that’s needed to feel the stress lifted from your shoulders and continue your day with a lighter sense of being.
6. Get a Massage. This is obvious, but unpractical to those of us who cannot afford a daily rub down, or is it? Have your partner rub you down for 15 minutes after work, or if you are single, make arrangements with a friend to massage you.
7. Knit. Knitting is a form of meditation that allows your mind to free itself from work-related stresses, and as a bonus, you will have a stupid-looking garment to give to someone.
8. Take a Scottish Shower. Hot/cold therapy is a great way to cheaply pamper your body since all you need is a shower with hot and cold water. Start off with a hot shower, then change the water temperature to cold. Continue to alternate every 30 seconds to a minute.
9. Eat Chocolate. Chocolate is considered a comfort food because it releases feel-good chemicals in the brain. It’s said that, after eating chocolate, the brain looks similar to when it receives a hug. Chocolate adds sugar and calories to your diet, so consume it in moderation.
10. Drink a Homemade Smoothie. Smoothies are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that will give you a natural “high.” Homemade smoothies are the best since you control what goes into them, while commercial smoothies are often packed with added sugars.
“How Exercise Reduces Stress,” Stress Management
” The Secret For a Relaxing Bubble Bath , ” Interesting Pages
” Mounting Evidence Shows Red Wine Antioxidant Kills Cancer , ” Science Daily
Jane Collingwood , “The Power of Music To Reduce Stress” Psych Central
“What is Meditation? ” Meditation Society of America
“Massage: Get in touch with its many health benefits,” Mayo Clinic
“Reduce Stress While Having Fun at The Giving Tree,” Community Newspapers
“The Scottish shower,” Wellness by Roca
Brenda Kearns , “Natural No-Fail Mood Boosters , ” Good Housekeeping
” Healthy Smoothies , ” Superfood Guru