Have you been commissioned to take engagement photographs for your favorite couple, but you don’t want to just provide them with just the regular cliché engagement photograph locations? Here is a list of 10 fun and unique settings for engagement photographs.
1. Library/ bookstore: Perfect for the more studious couples, libraries or bookstores can provide the perfect backdrop for a fun series of engagement portraits. Try shooting photos that use the surrounding books as props, such as holding one in front of the couple’s faces for a cute “concealed kissing” photo. Stacks of books with photos taken from floor level will also provide great photo opportunities.
2. Grocery Store: While it is perhaps more of a scene for already married couples, grocery store shopping as a two-some can provide a great, original series of engagement portraits. Since some stores have policies against photography in the store, remember to check with the manager before beginning your engagement session. (Often smaller, more local grocery chains are friendlier towards this type of photography session.) Have fun with this photo location, using grocery carts, cereal boxes, and produce as quick props.
3. Cozy Diner: Does the couple you’re photographing have a favorite dining spot? Try shooting their engagement photographs at their favorite restaurant or diner, working to fully take advantage of the fun angles available to you-both from eye level and ground level (think: cute feet shots). Restaurant tables will also provide easy “hand pictures” featuring the engagement ring, as the table will be a steady surface to photograph off of.
4. Picnic time: This session is probably best for an outdoor-loving couple. Picnic engagement sessions are also easy to pack props in and out of, especially if a handy little picnic basket is around. Picnic sessions are great for providing a more antique (if desired) look to an engagement picture, and the advantage of being outside can be some great natural lighting if planned carefully.
5. Fishing Dock: Does the couple enjoy fishing? Work in an engagement photo session at their favorite dock. The parallel lines of the wooden dock boards will be wonderful to work with in your photographs, and fishing poles and tackle can provide easy props. Again, having something like “fishing” to do for the photos can make the entire session more relaxed and appear more natural. If you work later in the day, a few shots of sunset reflections on the water will add to this engagement photograph session as well.
6. Golf course: Golf courses are another fun (and less conventional) spot for engagement photos. This is a good setting choice for a couple who thrives on more classy and vintage styled clothing (think: argyle sweater vests and caddy hats) and who want to portray that taste through their engagement photographs. Have fun playing with set, using the natural outdoor lighting to your photographic advantage.
7. Recording Studio: Ideal for the musically inclined couple, a recording studio is another fun and unique place to take an engagement photo session. A smaller, local recording studio will be more likely to allow this session to take place, and there will most likely be a fee charged for your time spent there. Be sure to discuss all of these aspects with both the recording studio and your engagement clients prior to beginning the portrait session.
8. Vintage store: Full of ready-to-use props, second hand vintage stores are great places for unique engagement photographs. Ask the shop owners if you can rearrange furniture (be sure to put it back exactly how you find it before you leave), and have fun with the old fashion pieces. To ensure a more “legitimate” looking photo session, be sure to conceal any price tags that the furniture or any other props might have in the photographs.
9. Laundromat: Increasing in popularity, Laundromat photographs are still somewhat of a novel idea for engagement pictures. Use the Laundromat carts or baskets as fun props and set up photographs to resemble laundry cycle “waiting time.” Be sure to thank your respective Laundromat for allowing you to shoot the session there as well.
10. City sidewalks: Cities, full of tall buildings and bustling sidewalks, are also great places for engagement sessions. This scene is ideal for an urban-loving couple. For truly unique city shots, ask for permission to take photographs on top of one of your city’s downtown buildings.