Graduation is upon us and words of wisdom are expected as graduates leave the safety of one environment and explore opportunities for a new one. This is usually a scary and exciting expedition, and the graduates need encouragement to step out and follow their dreams. Here are ten quotes to help them. Use them in scrapbook pages, cards, or speeches.
1. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Dear graduate, you only have at a chance to succeed with your dreams if you truly believe in them and yourself. Without that confidence, there is no chance to achieve them.
2. “At commencement you wear your square-shaped mortarboards. My hope is that from time to time you will let your minds be bold, and wear sombreros.”
~ Paul Freund
Release your inhibitions and enjoy life.
3. “Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.”
~ Yoda from the movie The Empire Strikes Back
The word try means to make an attempt at something. Try implies one commits the effort, but not necessarily the result. You must do more than try if you want to succeed.
4. “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”
~Henry David Thoreau
Following your dreams is the only way to achieve them. Sure, you’ll make adjustments to those dreams along the way as you grow, learn, and mature. That’s fine as long as you still pursue them.
5. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Instead of taking the easy way that has been done before, go for something different and let others follow you.
6. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”
~ Anatole France
Decide on your passions and work hard to gain them. However, that’s not enough. You must have self-confidence and self worth.
7. “You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”
~Dr. Seuss in the book, Oh the Places You’ll Go
The man who taught us lessons when we were children in books such as The Grinch Who Stole Christmas also gave us great advice in the book, Oh the Places You’ll Go. In fact, instead of just writing the quote in a card, you might want to consider purchasing the book as a gift. It has a lot of great advice for any graduate.
8. “Don’t waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Be positive about who you are and what you do well. Don’t waste your energy on the negative. Instead, keep going forward.
9. “All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them.”
~ Walt Disney
If you don’t follow your dreams, there is no chance at achieving them.
10. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~ Mark Twain
Never be afraid of what others think about your dreams. Follow them anyway. Have fun chasing them. Never settle for anything less. If you do, then you’ve lost your dreams. You’re worth more than that. So, set your goals and go for them.